EAT Tubes vs. NOS Tubes

How far do you turn the volume knob before it's blowing your room down?

Works just fine with the phono or tape. Setting depends on cartridge output; usually say around 30-40 for Atlas and say 50-60 for something like Ikeda or Transfig. Remember the ART is relatively insensitive at 1.7 V input sensitivity. Would have been more of an issue say with the LPM series with its 0.5 V input sensitivity.

Here is the deal with Kevin Deal from my perspective: I start every conversation with Kevin by saying "I'm want to place an order." I have never had an issue with Kevin. He knows I'm calling to buy something at the beginning of the conversation.

mep,

I had every intention of buying one of the two Telefunkens he had in stock. He never got that far and was intent on slamming a product that he does not sell. Sound familiar?

If you have to start a conversation with Mr. Upscale by saying you are going to purchase a tube from him, there is something seriously wrong with his attitude. And another example of why hi end audio is going down the crapper.

I found him to be pretentious, arrogant, and elitist and I personally would not buy a toothpick from him.

You appear to be on his "short list". Read he will make a sale and make money when you call and it's "worth" his time to talk to you. Lucky you.

He may be the "jesus" of tube dealers but frankly, I'm not religious.

Best,

GG

mep,

I had every intention of buying one of the two Telefunkens he had in stock. He never got that far and was intent on slamming a product that he does not sell. Sound familiar?

If you have to start a conversation with Mr. Upscale by saying you are going to purchase a tube from him, there is something seriously wrong with his attitude. And another example of why hi end audio is going down the crapper.

I found him to be pretentious, arrogant, and elitist and I personally would not buy a toothpick from him.

You appear to be on his "short list". Read he will make a sale and make money when you call and it's "worth" his time to talk to you. Lucky you.

Best,

GG

I never had any luck with Tele ECC83s in my cj phono section. 4-6 months and they were shot.

mep,

Not really unless this a product that Kevin refuses to sell tubes for like he does the ARC VT-100 series of amps. Part of Kevin's business is selling tubes to anyone who owns tube equipment. It doesn't matter if it's a line that he doesn't carry unless it's a product that is known to eat tubes.

I understand why you feel that way, it's just not my experience. I'm sure you are aware that there are lots of people who don't have a problem using dealers to get advice or to hear a product only to then take their business to somewhere else on the net so they can save some money. I don't call Kevin to pick his brain. I call Kevin to place an order for tubes and again, that's how I start my conversation.

I think you are being a wee bit harsh. If a "short list" means customers who want to buy things, I guess that's me.

Best,

GG

Kevin is no "jesus' of tube dealers as you said. He's just a guy that has some really great tubes and some really good gear to match them.

Thanks mep for your insight. Appreciate your comments.

GG

Update. Received the replacement EAT ECC88 from Roy Hall, via Kosmic Audio (my purchase point) last Friday.

Installed over the weekend and all is well. New tube is "dead" quiet and sounds very much like my initial EAT.

GG

Cool. I hope it stays that way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing