Don't Shoot The Messenger Please

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Sunday Afternoon All,

I have just listened to "A Love Supreme" featuring the Branford Marsalis quartet. The musical package presents a CD and DVD. I know there will be some questions about why I mention this on a reel to reel forum and I am wondering myself. But, the music was so profound, powerful and moving I had to mention it.

Watching the quartet play this music brought tears to my eyes as each part of the suite began more tears. Check out each member of the quartet as they got deeply into the music. I was so overtaken by the performance of Joey Calderazzo and Jeff Tain Watts I wanted to be there, but the closest I could get was watching this DVD. Joey was so moved by the music he would rise up off the piano stool from time to time as he played. In particular, Watts never got a chance to rest. Sweat poured off this gentleman's brow as he continued pushing the group forward. These musicians played for about 40 minutes.

I sure hope someday this particular rendition can be transfered to tape. The only problem would be, the entire suite would require 2 reels of tape. What an experience that would be. Not taking anything away from John Coltrane and his quartet, but this playing takes the music just a little further. This is powerful music no matter who plays it. Just my thinking on this. Don't shoot the messenger.

jazzbo

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I'm afraid that it is more probable that digital continues evolving rather than having more masters in tape out there, glad you are enjoying your system to that extent. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing