Do you forego music because of recording/mastering/pressing quality?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For me that answer is an unequivocal NO!

I always try to seek out the best possible of those 3 parts I mentioned in the thread title, but if no alternatives can be found then I have no problem purchasing music that might be considered sub-standard. Partly this is due to the fact I am more music-focused than gear-focused or that sound quality should be the determining factor in my music purchases. I want the music, the lyrics, the delivery, the feel. Better recordings/mastering/pressings will give me more enjoyment for sure, but why pass up inferior ones who's music you enjoy.

Some of the artists I can think of who's output on various media has been substandard (IMO) are Adele, Amy Winehouse, Duffy and Hozier to name but four. But I love the music and I want it, so I buy it and still enjoy the time I spend with those artists and albums.

If the music touches my soul I want it.

Simple really!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
no...as long as it is good music I like. Led Zeppelin is a perfect example.
A lot of rock fits that bill unfortunately. At least in the case of LZ we had some Classic Records reissues to fall back on. But what about those for whom we don't have that availability?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
If I enjoy the artist and the performance the SQ is not an issue. I would never purchase music that doesn't interest me because it is well recorded.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
so frustrating ... when great music isn't recorded nearly as well as it should be (or as stated on the "remastered" packaging), yet I've built up a pretty big library of music over the decades, unfortunately much comprised of poorly rec music.

So, I'll keep buying poorly rec. music if it suites my fancy. Listening to it can be another matter tho, generally, I tend to cue the more poorly mastered recordings early on in my listening sessions, progressing to better recs. towards the finale.

Wonner Naus

Oct 28, 2015
USA
I will not tolerate or support (with my money) substandard SQ.

There is more great music out there than I can hear in lifetime. Why settle for anything except what's best?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

There is more great music out there than I can hear in lifetime. Why settle for anything except what's best?
So it's more about sound quality than artistry for you?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Because it's not a signal, it's music. And "what's best" in music is completely different than what's best in recording quality. I'll take great writing and performing over most of the incredibly boring stuff of audiophile recordings all day, every day.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Because it's not a signal, it's music. And "what's best" in music is completely different than what's best in recording quality. I'll take great writing and performing over most of the incredibly boring stuff of audiophile recordings all day, every day.

Tim

+1 :)

Wonner Naus

Oct 28, 2015
USA

Tim

Alrighty then.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I don't forego it, but I don't listen to it on the big rig nearly as much. Still, sitting still and listening intently to hard rock and metal sometimes seems a bit perverse anyway.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

There is more great music out there than I can hear in lifetime. Why settle for anything except
what's best?

There is plenty of great music that isn't recorded well where you DON'T have any options.

For example, and not to start an argument here, NOBODY performs Beethoven better than Furtwangler.

OK, Toscanini comes close on some recordings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing