Do you check health reports on your favorite restaurants?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I didn't used to until I read in the local paper years ago that our favorite restaurant to have closed for the most number of violations than any other! The horror did not stop there. Once I learned there was a database I went to check it. I could not find a single clean place to eat at. Get this, the list even included fast food restaurants and cafes inside Microsoft. They all had violations!

Didn't want to eat out for weeks. Since then I stopped checking but was just reading the reviews of a new place to try and I see in the comments that it was closed due to health violations. So I went and looked at them and others. Same issue. So depressing to see really bad violations. I won't give the link as the last time I did that, everyone hated me at Microsoft :). But here is the report from a close by Korean BBQ that we walk up to from work:

"Inspection type Date Score Result
Consultation/Education - Field 05/17/2011 N/A Complete
Routine Inspection/Field Review 03/14/2011 0 Satisfactory
Routine Inspection/Field Review 12/21/2010 0 Satisfactory

Routine Inspection/Field Review 11/01/2010 20 Unsatisfactory
Improper cold holding temperatures (greater than 45 degrees F) (10 points)
Raw meats, poultry, aquatic foods not stored away from ready-to-eat foods (5 points)
Food worker card not available or current, new food workers not trained (5 points)

Routine Inspection/Field Review 02/24/2009 15 Unsatisfactory
Inadequate hand washing facilities (10 points)
Improper handling of pooled eggs (5 points)

Consultation/Education - Field 08/19/2008 N/A Complete

Routine Inspection/Field Review 08/19/2008 70 Unsatisfactory
Room temperature storage, improper use of time as a control, procedures not available (25 points)
Improper methods used to prevent bare hand contact with ready-to-eat foods (15 points)
Inadequate hand washing facilities (10 points)
Improper cold holding temperatures (greater than 45 degrees F) (10 points)
Improper handling of pooled eggs (5 points)
Garbage, refuse not properly disposed; facilities not maintained (3 points)
Physical facilities not properly installed, maintained, clean; unnecessary persons not excluded from establishment (2 points)

Routine Inspection/Field Review 02/06/2008 35 Satisfactory
Room temperature storage, improper use of time as a control, procedures not available (25 points)
Improper shellfish identification; improper parasite destruction procedures for fish (5 points)
Proper Consumer Advisory not posted for raw or undercooked foods (5 points)

Routine Inspection/Field Review 05/16/2007 25 Unsatisfactory
Room temperature storage, improper use of time as a control, procedures not available (25 points)"

They close them for 90 points worth of violations. The original time I read about my favorite place hat hit 170 points! It had stuff in there that if I said it now, you would not even food at home! It was that disgusting.

The interviewed the health inspector at the time. He said ethnic restaurants tend to be the worst because the workers do not understand English and it is hard to communicate with them.

So what do you do? Put your head in the sand and not check?

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Wow, that's pretty bad but I guess it doesn't shock me. I've seen some of the kitchens of bars and small restaurants in my area and they don't look like they've had a good cleaning for years. When visiting Las Vegas a few years ago I was exposed to the visible health inspector's grade for the first time and all the places I ate at had a "A" rating. I'm surprised that more places don't have a similar visible grading policy so you know how your food is being handled.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In NYC, restaurants most has to post the inspection grade on the outside of the restaurant in a spot easily visible to all customers (several have been fined, needless to say with less than stellar inspections, for putting their grade in a place no one can see it). NYC restaurants grades are A,B,C and dead. Yep seen a few get closed down when they started the new health inspection system and lot's of Bs and Cs. Of course they can clean up and get reinspected and hopefully receive an A. But the ones I don't go to are the ones with Grade Pending since one doesn't know if that's real, if they got a bad grade and leave that up or they have resubmitted for inspection :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing