Do some stylus shapes shapes have less audible errors in a tangential arm over a whole record.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Before I say much more. I know that when B and O made the MMC cartridges for their parallel tracking turntables they designed a stylus to work better in a parallel tracking arm.
It may ultimately explain why parallel tracking arms have problems with compliance which is different in the lateral to vertical movement.

So my question is this, has anyone thought or attempted to make a stylus that does not/minimises distortion from trancing error that is inherent in a tangential arm - or is that the case already? Do cartridges designers design a cartridge with tracking error in mind or is it from a theoretically perfect moment on the record when everyone line s for a couple of rotations of the LP?

Likewise are any modern MC's made with pt arms in mind?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
this is a guess. since Clearaudio's top tonearm is a tangential arm, i'm guessing that their top cartridges are optimized to work with that arm. i don't know of any other company that builds their own cartridges also build their own tangential tone arms.

i own the GFS which i really like. i have no idea whether the stylus has any tangential arm optimization. but it could. i currently don't own a tangential arm, but did own the Rockport arm for 8 years. i never observed any lack of compliance from the many cartridges i used.

i might recommend contacting Clearaudio and asking them directly about your concern. they may be able to offer some information.

Last edited:
Reactions: kach22i

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing