DMC 30 SL - default switch position

phaeton

Nov 13, 2010
Hi again
sorry for the trivial question: what is the default position of the internal switches in the 30SL G2?

I've already gone through the manual, but it's not clear to me the correct position for the maximum gain, i.e. no input attenuation and +6db gain from the line stage. looking the pre from the front, the two switches that regulate the gain must be set to the outmost right for the +6db setting?

many thanks
mike

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Looking at the preamp from the top-front, I believe the +6dB gain is with the switch to the left. Trial and error will convince either way :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No problem... let us know of any audible differences. Also, what lead you to consider a +6dB boost; I know the 30SS probably needs it because of the new volume control, I never felt the SL did...

phaeton

Nov 13, 2010
Well, I've been told that to get the max performance out of this fantastic pre, the Spectral must be set for the max gain to get full performance, irrespective of poweer amp sensibility or loudspeaker efficiency.
I used to have an Aesthetix Calypso (well, actually I still have it but don't use it anymore) in which there was a similar setting, and the difference was clearly audible in terms of dynamic and "liveliness", but couldn't use the high gain setting because of too much noise from the tubes.
Anyway, I have changed the switch position as you indicated, in the next few days I'll check if this is better, equal or worse than the default setting.

many thanks
mike

PS let me add a question: do someone know what is the Spectral email ?? I'm not english mother tongue so I would more like to write than give a call. I've already wrote to spectral@prodigy.net without any response, and the info@spectral.com is bouncing back my email.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've communicated via fax a number of times. I am sure there is an email address, but I don't know it. Keep in mind, with the extra gain there is a slightly higher noise floor penalty to be paid.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing