Speedy_Kiwi

Feb 14, 2021
Hi!
So I have a turntable connected to my amp via the phono output, but every time I play a record, it seems that I get a distorted sound every beat. Now I tried adjusting it by adjusting the bass, but it doesn't seem to help. Does this mean the phono output of my amp is broken? I also read somewhere that maybe it can be because of the ground wire? I have a phillips stereo 907 as turntable and a sony TA-AV590 as amp. Let me know what you guys think, thank you!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't know.
Is your record and stylus clean?
Are you using the correct tracking force?
Is cart properly aligned:
Was the tt playing properly but went bad gradually or all of a sudden?
Do you have the ability to switc out components to see who the guilty culprit is?
Are all your connectors clean and tight?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Sounds to me like something within the signal/amplification arena. Is your gain set to where it should be? Also, are you 100% sure that your TT IC output is input into the correct gain into the phono pre?

Tom

Speedy_Kiwi

Feb 14, 2021
I'm 100% sure the record and stylus are clean, as I got good sound when I connected my amp with another output on my amp. How can I see if I use the correct tracking force? How can I check if the gain set is correct? And how can I check if the TT IC output is input into the correct gain? Sorry, only a beginner here, loads of questions lol

Speedy_Kiwi

Feb 14, 2021
actually not 100% sure if the stylus is ok, I got the turntable only just and it was stationary for many years, so don't know exactly how well its condition is. But I connected the turntable before into the cd output and it gave good sound (although for a very low volume) so i'm guessing it's still ok.

Speedy_Kiwi

Feb 14, 2021
The belt is newly installed by me as there was none in it when it was picked up, so don't think that should cause any problems

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think you start over.
Don't worry it is unlikely your AVR was dam aged. Such a tiny input for your phono cart.
Start by identifying your car and tt. Then can google search for the manufacturers' manual.
To inspect your cart you'll need some sort of magnification and bright light. Dirt and lint should be obvious if present.
You can find tt setup video on tube.
Let us know when you completed tat.

Speedy_Kiwi

Feb 14, 2021
I connected it with the AUX output and it works perfectly. I thank you guys for taking time to work this out for me!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I doubt it is perfect. :oops: As long as you are satisfied.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I connected it with the AUX output and it works perfectly. I thank you guys for taking time to work this out for me!
When you write output, you mean input ? Maybe your Turntable has a built in RIA section, and needs connection to a straight line stage, like the AUX input.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Technics SL-1500C Semi-Automatic Direct-Drive Turntable: Audiophile Package Features Built-In MM Phono Preamplifier, Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge, and Push-Button Operation​

The Technics SL-1500C is more than an award-winning semi-automatic direct-drive turntable. Designed for set-it-and-forget-it operation and worry-free ease of use, it arrives as a complete audiophile-quality package with a built-in MM phono preamplifier, pre-installed Ortofon 2M Red phono cartridge on a removable head shell, and push-button operation. SL-1500C also features an auto lifter function embedded that automatically raises the tonearm when it reaches the end of an LP. Requiring no motor power, it avoids any electrical or vibrational impact on performance, and does not prevent any movement of the supplied nine-inch, universal static balance tonearm with gimbal-suspension-constructed bearing. You get the best of all worlds: Convenience without any consequence. Indeed, every aspect of SL-1500C emphasizes simplicity, relaxation, and sound punctuated by clarity, depth, focus, and formidable low-end extension.
Oops! My face is red. Maybe it does have its' own RIAA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing