Dimfer's

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Near field listening through pair of Unifield 3s would be the ticket...or headphones depending on sq. footage.;)

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks Seth, I got it from a Mobler store. It does get noticed, everytime I try to sell something online and use a picture with that thing on it, I'd get more inquiry about the picture than the product for sale.

I'm pretty happy how my room turned out, sonically and aesthetically. I am still an avid aquarist, I spend a lot of time on this room.

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looking good Ding! I'm sure sounding good as well!

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Video updates of my current setup.

latest

before Shockwave V15

I recently added a Von Schweikert Shockwave V15 and moved the VR5 Anniversaries 6" forward... still calibrated by ear, but will soon fine tune with the test tones and soundmeter.

The amps I currently use are Trodt Sikatuna Gm70 PSET (6S4A/6922) built by one of the best tube amp designers from the Philippines, outputting 60 watts per channel . The system sound full range and very dynamic..

I have a pair of Aurum Cantus G1 ribbon tweeters and plan to integrate it via DIY box and will be crossing it at 2000hz via Obbligato Gold Premium capacitors...(why Obbligato - I heard a highly modifed pair of Sonus Faber speakers whose owner tried at least 10 popular brands including V Cap, Audio Note, Mundorf, Clarity Caps, Modwright etc and ended up with this on the tweets and I really liked the sound he got as well), if Obbligato does not work as well in my system, I will be switching to V Caps... hopefully this will bring me closer to a VR9 experience.

I am very happy with my system's performance as well. Front duties are done by Nova Physics Memory Player and I am looking forward to put my analog front back together again. Just waiting for some goodies to come in, including something from Sound-Smith ;)...

I shoehorned an HT in the same room about 2 yrs ago, with a 120" motorized screen, an Epson 8700UB and an LG HTIB...yeah I know sound and picture quality is not the best, but good enough for me. HTIB plays blu ray, dvd and I got a PS3 (Move of course) and high def digital cable box with 2 TB memory hooked as well - and shared with the rest of the family. Me and my wife watch a lot of movie @ Netflix. I tried a multi-box ht system, but my kids complained they were too complicated, so I just switched to HTIB.

I am trying to do audio in moderation - so I think I will stop with what I have now and just enjoy the music... and the movies and the PS3 games...

Still into aquahobby (and share videos I shared here to aquahobby friends as well), I want to go back to golfing , and take some ballroom dancing lesson or maybe go back to the gym.. not getting any younger

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
just a little update..

with Lamm M2.2 .. my brother-in-law who took the picture moved the guitar just for looks, I didn't realize it would stick out like a sore thumb in the picture.

better?

with my GM70 PSET

the S7 sounds good with both, but I like the GM70/S7 combo more (personal taste)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations on the S7s - would love to read details about the sound

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nice room and gears, Ding.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Congratulations on the S7s - would love to read details about the sound

thanks! the S7 replaced the Vr5 Anniversary. It is not fully burned it yet, but showing a lot of potential. At this point, I still prefer the mids of the VR5 but I think the S7 can equal or surpass that as I put in more hours.

The S7 is very revealing, I could discern differences between associated equipments. It may also be because it has more hours now, but the sound driven by my PSET GM70 now is very different vs the sound when I started the burn in process - with the Lamm M2.2. It throws a big soundstage, these speakers can totally disappear from the room.

I think it is significantly better than the S5 Mk1 that I heard. The tweeter puts out a lot of information without calling for extra attention. I will have to disagree with people who described Magico as "not musical" because I really think it is, with the right associated gears of course. I am trying to recall the sound of the Q7 driven by topline VAC gears that I heard in 2014, but based on what I could remember, my system sounds more lit up (not sure if that is the right audiophile term) without sounding bright.

My audiophile vocabulary is not as colorful as the other members in this board, but I will make an effort to describe the sound when it is fully burned in.

thanks Hedgehog, Jadis, Steve and Slowgeezr for taking the time to comment. I was hoping to get more listening time during the Holiday season, but exactly the opposite happened - we had a few out of town visitors...

Are those Arowanas back there? Whatever they are, they scare me
yep, asian arowanas. cool fish ;)

You coming to Manila in August

Hi Steve, I would love to meet up with you while you are in Manila, do the audio rounds with you (visit Jack, Jimmy, Phil etc) and show you around the other parts of the country, but not so sure if I could do that. My wife promised her Dad that she will represent them in one of their pending transactions there, but we don't control when things will happen as they are dealing with a mining company, where things could go really fast, or painfully slow. If the timing is close enough, maybe I can stretch things to make it fit.

but hmm, August - isn't that well into the typhoon season already? (not meaning to scare you, I've been away far too long and has lost track of a lot of stuff over there)

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
thanks! the S7 replaced the Vr5 Anniversary. It is not fully burned it yet, but showing a lot of potential. At this point, I still prefer the mids of the VR5 but I think the S7 can equal or surpass that as I put in more hours.

The S7 is very revealing, I could discern differences between associated equipments. It may also be because it has more hours now, but the sound driven by my PSET GM70 now is very different vs the sound when I started the burn in process - with the Lamm M2.2. It throws a big soundstage, these speakers can totally disappear from the room.

I think it is significantly better than the S5 Mk1 that I heard. The tweeter puts out a lot of information without calling for extra attention. I will have to disagree with people who described Magico as "not musical" because I really think it is, with the right associated gears of course. I am trying to recall the sound of the Q7 driven by topline VAC gears that I heard in 2014, but based on what I could remember, my system sounds more lit up (not sure if that is the right audiophile term) without sounding bright.

My audiophile vocabulary is not as colorful as the other members in this board, but I will make an effort to describe the sound when it is fully burned in.

thanks Hedgehog, Jadis, Steve and Slowgeezr for taking the time to comment. I was hoping to get more listening time during the Holiday season, but exactly the opposite happened - we had a few out of town visitors...

yep, asian arowanas. cool fish ;)

Hi Steve, I would love to meet up with you while you are in Manila, do the audio rounds with you (visit Jack, Jimmy, Phil etc) and show you around the other parts of the country, but not so sure if I could do that. My wife promised her Dad that she will represent them in one of their pending transactions there, but we don't control when things will happen as they are dealing with a mining company, where things could go really fast, or painfully slow. If the timing is close enough, maybe I can stretch things to make it fit.

but hmm, August - isn't that well into the typhoon season already? (not meaning to scare you, I've been away far too long and has lost track of a lot of stuff over there)

..if those S7s end up bettering your Annies...well let's just say that's really sayin' something!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
...wait for the 88 ;) :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I gotta say, the S7s do look really good in your room Ding. The color even matches the artwork. I'm sure they sound great too. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing