Deutsche Grammophon Boxsets I picked up for $1 each.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Picked these up the other day for a $1 apiece. The Lp's look like they've rarely, if ever, been played and the packaging is in very good to excellent condition with the exception of Vol 4 which has some scuff marks on the cover. It says they were made in the U.S.A. Anyone familiar with these?

001..JPG
002..JPG
003..JPG
004..JPG
005..JPG

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Way to go! John, can't beat that price.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I also got some "Angel" recordings and RCA Red label ones. They're all in like terrrific shape, so for a $1 apiece I couldn't pass them up.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I remember that the karajan symphony set was released with great fanfare in the early 80's, just before the dawn of the cd era.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice one!!! Which karajan9th... '63 or '77?

(i have the '63 set of symphonies on cd and discovered the set that has been remastered as an sacd set and is supposedly much better...ii took a flier and bought it second hand. looking forward to it!)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Herbert von Karajan was instrumental in setting the capacity of the modern CD. He insisted that Beethoven's 9th symphony be able to fit on a single disc, so that there would be no "unintended intermission" while switching discs (as was the case with LPs). That set you picked up should be great! From his age in the cover photo, it looks like the 1963 set.

Lee

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! i did not know that. Thanks, Lee. Now i am really excited to hear it! ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

richr

Jun 11, 2010
Herbert von Karajan was instrumental in setting the capacity of the modern CD. He insisted that Beethoven's 9th symphony be able to fit on a single disc, so that there would be no "unintended intermission" while switching discs (as was the case with LPs). That set you picked up should be great! From his age in the cover photo, it looks like the 1963 set.

Lee

It may be a little more complicated than that.

http://www.snopes.com/music/media/cdlength.asp

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It may be a little more complicated than that.

http://www.snopes.com/music/media/cdlength.asp

Sony insisted that the CD must hold the 74 minute Beethoven 9th. I've seen several times that Von Karajan was a vocal proponent of that capacity (to hold the entire 9th). Interestingly, his Alpine Symphony was among the first CDs produced. That demonstrates his early involvement with the media. You must understand that a massive conglomerate like Sony/Philips would never publicly affirm that they gave technical specification authority to someone outside their engineering departments! So, we may not see absolute proof that von Karajan was the primary in this move, but the evidence is "interesting".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6950933.stm

http://blogs.ft.com/businessblog/2011/04/sony-needs-a-bit-of-ohga-and-karajans-magic/#axzz1omSQEh00

The internet is always fertile ground for those who wish to debate for debate's sake.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing