DaveC's RMAF 2017 Picture Thread

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This year I just tried to chill and take in the music, didn't play my own tracks for the most part, and so I won't get into commenting about the sound as much since I can only give an overall impression without careful evaluation using tracks I'm extremely familiar with.

On to the pics! :)

Daedalus and ModWright keeps getting better year after year. This year I heard an especially beautiful tone on Rodrigo y Gabriella's guitars and more controlled bass, though the room hasn't been completely tamed it's 1,000x better than just a few years ago. The woodworking in this room is extraordinary!

Aaudio Imports showing Wilson Benesch speakers with Ypsilon Amps, phonostage and linestage and Thales TT/arm, Ikeda cart

I liked the sound a lot.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
High Fidelity Services showing Verity Audio Lohengrin IIS speakers, Verity electronics, TW Acustic tt/arm/phono pre, Ortonfon cart.

Spolier... this was Best of Show imo. :thumb:

Audio Den showing Thrax with Antipodes music server. This was a great system, I've heard the MtMs without the bass cabs, which are optional, and this is even better. These speakers are very flat and accurate sounding.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Zu and Peachtree... Zu gets better and better, it retains it's characteristic sound but is more refined than ever. They are fun to listen to and can achieve high SPLs with no strain.

Gryphon. Beautiful speakers, laid back sound. I prefer a bit more of a "lit-up" presentation and I thought the tweeters were curiously low, but the system did a lot right.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Von Schweikert VR55s... Excellent as always... a small(ish) speaker that plays big!

And next door, Endeavor E3s... just in case the VR55 is a bit out of your budget. :wink: These are a bit softer and more forgiving vs the 55s or their big brother the E5 while retaining good resolution.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
No pics in your first two posts and the third pic in your third post is also hidden. But everything else I can see. :)

Weird, I posted every single one of them exactly the same way. Seems like a website issue as I'm posting this on Audiocircle too and it seems like it works there. I'll see if admin can help... I just don't want to have to upload pics to every website I post on, it's far more hassle than linking to google pics, which is what I'm doing.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for checking in Steve. I've got notice it's not working right on Audiocircle either. I can see the photos on both sites. Looks like uploading to each individual site is the way it's going to have to go as these bugs are extremely annoying. I hate doing things twice!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
They are 1200 pixels, so not more than a few hundred kb each. They show up fine for me...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
No pictures for me either.
Try using PostImage its a free picture hosting site and its set up perfect for posting on forums.
Super easy to use, drag and drop.
Photobucket is unusable anymore so I found this.
I used it on my K.I.S.S. thread, so easy to use.
https://postimages.org/

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
No pictures for me either.
Try using PostImage its a free picture hosting site and its set up perfect for posting on forums.
Super easy to use, drag and drop.
Photobucket is unusable anymore so I found this.
I used it on my K.I.S.S. thread, so easy to use.
https://postimages.org/

Thanks! I tried it on the 1st post, if someone can post if they see the pics that would be great... :)

edit: should be all good now! please let me know if not.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Ok, hopefully that's all figured out.. :green:

VAC and Tannoy. This is the best I've heard from Tannoy, it sounded really good.

Piega with Soulution, Accuphase, Air Tight, Transrotor, Reed, CMS and the new Pitch Perfect Sound footers

This was also a very nice sounding system, seemed accurate and resolving without being fatiguing. I was only in for a short time as the room was crowded and I didn't get a chance to go back unfortunately.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Audio Alternative showing Martin Logan Neoliths, Clearaudio, Audio Research. I liked this system a lot with some caveats... midrange and treble clarity were exceptional but don't quite match the character of the cone woofers. This effect was reduced towards the back of the room, it's likely the Neoliths just need a larger space to truly shine.

Classic Audio Loudspeakers, Atmosphere amps. Field coil midrange compression drivers with Be diaphragms, T500 tweets and big woofers... hard to go wrong there! Very nice sound.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Wilson and Constellation... this was excellent, had a very nice smooth presentation with good clarity and soundstage. I could wish for a bit more woofer though, the bass didn't quite do the mids justice imo.

JERN... Cast Iron speakers from a casting company that makes turbo housings for high end BMWs among other things. This is an excellent lifestyle system and was shown as such with a iphone as source, but this surely didn't do them any favors. Still, sound was good for the size and price.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Pure Audio Project. Ok, if I didn't build my own speakers I'd seriously consider these. Even though I prefer a boxed woofer this makes up for a lot by using 4 per side. The appeal of this system over, say, the AudioKenisis speaker is it's modularity and ability to swap in different panels for the mid horn... you can use a full range driver, a different horn, whatever... and the xos are accessible and interchangeable with a model setup for prototyping. If you're a DIY guy who doesn't want to build from the ground up or just like messing around with different drivers and configurations this is a unique and excellent offering. You can get this speaker for about $10k! Some assembly required... :)

J Corder showing with the Technics Reference System. Excellent sound, even though they were playing digital when I went in. ;) Lots of awesome classic gear on hand to show off and for sale, very cool!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing