Dallas Buyer's Club

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Saw this today. Excellent movie but could have benefited from a more ruthless editor, i.e. it should have been 20 minutes shorter. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto will both likely garner Oscar nominations.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The pharmaceutical monopolies sure do NOT like it when we do something good for our bodies, UNLESS they are ripping $$$s out of all our orifices.

zz.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the film this afternoon and the length of the film didn't bother me at all. This movie is a must see. It is based on the true story of Ron Woodruff which I didn't know. Matthew McConaughey is unbelievably believable in this role. The guy is a chameleon. The three films he made this year IMO rank in the top 10 film of 2013

Mudd
Wolf Of Wall Street
Dallas Buyers Club

From IMDB.com.....

In 1985 Dallas, electrician and hustler Ron Woodroof works around the system to help AIDS patients get the medication they need after he is himself diagnosed with the disease

McConaughey could be nominated for Best Actor in any or all of these films. The man is a terrific actor as he becomes assimilated in each of his roles. The story is well told. Jennifer Garner also stars but in a lesser role

Having said all of this the one absolute highlight of the film is Jared Leto who plays Rayon, a transexual, who becomes Woodruff's partner . If he doesn't win Best Supporting Actor this year, there is no justice. He was simply amazing in the role

This film is not to be missed. It is simply that good

4/5 Stars

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thanks Steve.. We were going to see it last weekend but decided on Philomena instead and were very happy with that choice. Looks like we will go this week.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For my wife and I this is the time of year where we round out what I figure are the contenders for Oscar. As a result we are seeing a lot of film in the next few days

DBC today
Nebraska tomorrow
Her Saturday
Philomena Sunday
American Hustle Monday.......Interesting to me that David O. Russell, like Scorsese and Woody sticks with his favorites and people are raving about the film and Jennifer Lawrence has just won Best Supporting

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'd save my money on 'Nebraska'....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We saw the film several weeks ago. It was EXCELLENT and is highly recommended.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Finally made it to see DBC today. A very good movie with some pretty good acting. I do think that McConaughey's acting was a bit over the top but it seems like that is the norm these days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing