Cyclops v2 - First impressions.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I started acquiring my current system around this time two years ago. I had the preamp for a month or so, and ordered the amps over the July 4th weekend. For about 6-7 months I had everything plugged into the Triton, and while it sounded great, I tripped the Triton breaker one night, so I had a second 20 amp line installed for the amps. At the same time I ordered a Cyclops and Zitron Anaconda for it. The circuit was wall, Z Anaconda, Cyclops, two Zitron Pythons, amps, and it sounded quite good. However, I found that I was now tripping the circuit breaker used by the Cyclops. So, once again, I had another 20 amp line installed for the other amp, and each amp now has its own line, and the source has its own line. At that point I didn't feel as if I could spare $5k for another Cyclops and Z Anaconda, but after a few months I did order the second set.

By then I was used to the sound of the amps plugged directly into the wall, so I was slightly suspect of what type of improvement, or degradation, I might get from the pair of Cyclops. After all, conventional wisdom says plug the amps direct to the wall. Well, I was very happy to immediately notice that with the Cyclops the background noise dropped, and music seemed fuller and clearer. The noise part I find interesting since you are not aware it is there until it is gone, and I have noticed this is a common trait with Shunyata gear. Each upgrade seems to make the system even quieter, and sound better. At least to my non-measuring, subjective ears.

So, for the last year or so, this has been the status quo with power cord upgrades to Sigma, Triton to v2, and the Lumin file player. All in all, I have been very happy with the end result, and wasn't interested in any more upgrades, or gear changes for the future, but felt, just for completeness, I needed the Cyclops to also be at v2.

Two weeks ago I sent the Cyclops in for the upgrade, and received them back this past Wednesday. Last weekend I was 'forced' to listen the system with the amps directly into the wall. There is no comparison. Plugged directly into the wall, I could barely stand the sound. The sound was harsh, edgy, and not as quiet. While I am sure I would have eventually adapted to the new sound, I am glad I knew it could be much better. When I received the Cyclops back on Wednesday I immediately installed them. Right away I knew this was better than direct, but I held off on really listening, and let them burn in that night, and Thursday night. Friday morning I powered everything on for a critical Friday night evaluation, and that night had an interesting experience.

I started at 6 PM and was just mesmerized by the sound. As the night wore on, and it quieted down outside, I could not get enough. It was as if the music was giving me the energy, or motivation, to stay awake and listen. In fact, I didn't stop until 7 PM Saturday, since it was that good. That is a new record for me, and one I will never try to break, since even on Sunday afternoon I am still a little out of sorts. :)

With the v2 Cyclops, as before, background noise is lower/gone. However, now the music is perfect. There is no edge or harshness that I can detect. Friday night was rock, and it excelled. Now I am listening to string quartets, and the violins are so smooth against the black background that it is scary good.

From my perspective, the combination of wall, Zitron Anaconda, Cyclops v2, Sigma HC, amps is much, much better than wall, Sigma HC, amps.

I refer to the Cyclops combination as my 3.5 meter $8,600 power cord. Even with 4 additional DTCD drop points, this chain out performs the single cable. Amazing.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Bud, great to be able to read some early feedback on your experience, I won't mention the 'subj*#@ive ' word.

I had a quick look at the site the other day but couldn't see what was involved in the upgrade and wondering if you knew what had been changed out, the buss bar, coppercon outlets, wiring or anything else.

I'm currently running Z Anacondas from wall to the Cyclops then Z Pythons, so keen also if I may to get your thoughts on whether you felt your move to Sigmas either HC or the digital and analogue or if the upgrade to Triton V2 or the upgrade to Cyclops V2 was proving to be most beneficial.

tia
Graham

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Graham, this is what I received back when I inquired about the upgrade, "I checked with accounting and productions and the cost on this upgrade is $600 which includes the new COPPERCONN outlet and internal filter network." I just assumed that whatever the Triton got then the Cyclops would get the same thing.

In so far as which item(s) are the most beneficial, I would have to say the Triton v2, and the Cyclops v2 seem to have given me the biggest obvious thrills. Each power cord gave an incremental improvement over its predecessor, but with the Triton/Cyclops it was a sit still and listen experience. The closest a power cord upgrade came to this was when I replaced a Zitron Cobra with an Alpha Digital on my previous Bryston BDP-1 file player. That definitely produced a surprise sit up and listen response.

Of course, all of these parts are working together to produce the end result, so it isn't as if anything is unnecessary.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That's great thanks Bud, upgrading to V2 on Cyclops definitely sounds less daunting than swapping over to a whole new loom of the Sigma pcs as good as I'm sure they all are.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's great thanks Bud, upgrading to V2 on Cyclops definitely sounds less daunting than swapping over to a whole new loom of the Sigma pcs as good as I'm sure they all are.

Unless of course you power your Cyclops with a Sigma HC I use two Sigma HCs for my amps which are plugged into the wall each on their own dedicated line. Plugged into the AC duplex of each dedicated line I have an Anaconda umbilical plugged into a Typhon. Or a Caelin says" part of the lunatic fringe" of which I am a card carrying member.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Unless of course you power your Cyclops with a Sigma HC I use two Sigma HCs for my amps which are plugged into the wall each on their own dedicated line. Plugged into the AC duplex of each dedicated line I have an Anaconda umbilical plugged into a Typhon. Or a Caelin says" part of the lunatic fringe" of which I am a card carrying member.

Steve, Think I've also got that card with me somewhere... Tho you guys have clearly been having way too much fun with yours lately... I'd love to also swap out to Sigma HC feeds but might wait till my LF card is back up on full power.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yes, and from the Cyclops perspective, in addition to an utterly black background, the music has become more enveloping, with a softer edge to the sound. For lack of a better word, more analog like. I can't say that without the Cyclops the sound was bad with just the amps plugged into the wall, but the quietness combined with the smoothness has made a big difference in how I perceive my system.

When I upgraded the Triton I was able to remove the v1 and install the v2 at the same time. This allowed me to be able to easily detect a difference between the two. However, I went 9 days without a Cyclops before I installed the v2, so I cannot give an accurate A/B comparison. I can say that with a Cyclops my system took a big step forward, and there is no reason to even consider removing them.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks Bud, great to be able to read some early feedback on your experience, I won't mention the 'subj*#@ive ' word.

I had a quick look at the site the other day but couldn't see what was involved in the upgrade and wondering if you knew what had been changed out, the buss bar, coppercon outlets, wiring or anything else.

I'm currently running Z Anacondas from wall to the Cyclops then Z Pythons, so keen also if I may to get your thoughts on whether you felt your move to Sigmas either HC or the digital and analogue or if the upgrade to Triton V2 or the upgrade to Cyclops V2 was proving to be most beneficial.

tia
Graham

The links to the upgrade program are on the website now.

http://www.shunyata.com/support/upgrades/622-hydra-upgrade

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Caelin, the new site looks great btw.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing