Credibility of Audio Reviews

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Sorry Mark but I'm new to the forum and hit the button prematurely.My first system was over 20 years ago, I didn't know what I was looking for and bought the wrong stuff based on reviews. That was my fault. I did not intend to blame others.
That being said,we also live in a society where others are quick to jump down people's throat and throw the "f"word around like candy.
Supposedly neither of those is in the spirit of this forum.

Sorry, but the intention of your post was clear. I'm not buying that quick reply finger nonsense. Your post clearly implied that reviews led you astray. Buying gear strictly based on reviews, outside of certain accessories, gets you exactly what you deserve.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sorry, but the intention of your post was clear. I'm not buying that quick reply finger nonsense. Your post clearly implied that reviews led you astray. Buying gear strictly based on reviews, outside of certain accessories, gets you exactly what you deserve.

Andre, consider if bobauch lives outside of the metropolitan areas. Sometimes all we have to rely on are reviews, and many reviews have led me astray in my years as an audiophile.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My first system was based mainly on reviews. The speakers had great specs .I bought supposedly good quality amplification and my first good CD player.
That system has been replaced with a smaller,higher quality one. . . .

Big deal. His first system has been replaced by a better one. EVERYONE here falls into that category. So what if at a later date he wanted to replace the system? I don't think he is placing blame as much as stating that he ended up not enjoying the components recommended to him. His tastes weren't the same as the reviewers, but now he has a reviewer whose tastes and preferences he likes. As Gary said, sometimes you have to trust reviewers and follow their recommendations, especially when you don't have dealers nearby selling what you think you want to own.

Getting to where we are with our systems is a learning game.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, consider if bobauch lives outside of the metropolitan areas. Sometimes all we have to rely on are reviews, and many reviews have led me astray in my years as an audiophile.

Sorry Gary, that does not fly, he stated it was 20 years ago he was led astray by reviews. There were no e-tailers back then and plenty of hifi shops. Hard to believe he did not buy from a local shop, which means there was a perfectly good opportunity to try-before-you-buy.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I have in storage, awaiting my son to move into his own place, a pair of MMMicroOnes w. stand, I did like them somewhat but not overly so. At best I'd call them good stand mount transducers, for my son they will be killer speakers.

/BR
Lars
(not native English)

Hi Lars,

I am sorry and quite surprised you did not connect with the MicroOnes. Your experience is very contradictory to the majority of the feedback I have received. If you would kindly share your experience, the equipment used and how they were setup, I would like to see if there was a reason why you might not have heard them at their best. I hope there is a simple reason and I can help change your mind about them!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sorry Gary, that does not fly, he stated it was 20 years ago he was led astray by reviews. There were no e-tailers back then and plenty of hifi shops. Hard to believe he did not buy from a local shop, which means there was a perfectly good opportunity to try-before-you-buy.

20 years ago, in Singapore, it was just the same but without the e-tailers. Sometimes, you read a review and think that's what you want and you either convince one of the local shops to bring a unit in for you, paying in advance - and sometimes against the recommendation of the shop but they will do it for you anyway. Other times, you can't even convince a local shop to bring it in for you - and you buy it off a catalog. I used to buy gear off a physical mail catalog after reading a review. In any case, there is no chance to try-before-you-buy and there is no 90-day return.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

"My first system was based mainly on reviews. That system has been replaced with a smaller,higher quality one."

Give it a rest. Don't try to blame anyone but your self for making poor choices. I have auditioned, in my home, every component and speaker I have ever purchased.

I have ever piece of gear I have ever owned still, save for a pair of Rogers LS35A's I beat to death and an a ten year old ARC preamp.

We live in a society where no one wants to make a decision for themselves so they have someone else to blame for their fuk ups.

wow! aggressive. Not cool

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have long given up on paying much if any attention to reviewers of audio equipment or reviewers of any stuff with paid advertising. I have heard too many systems rated very highly by reviewers that I found seriously lacking. I have been in the room with them as they are extolling the quality of the sound that makes me want to run from the room. Way too HI-FI which is where this industry is going, unfortunately, for my taste. Not musical at all. I still subscribe to Stereophile and TAS as they are so cheap and worth it for the giggles. Same for some on line sites that are free and well known here.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
20 years ago, in Singapore, it was just the same but without the e-tailers. Sometimes, you read a review and think that's what you want and you either convince one of the local shops to bring a unit in for you, paying in advance - and sometimes against the recommendation of the shop but they will do it for you anyway. Other times, you can't even convince a local shop to bring it in for you - and you buy it off a catalog. I used to buy gear off a physical mail catalog after reading a review. In any case, there is no chance to try-before-you-buy and there is no 90-day return.

Understood. I guess I just have never done it that way, but then again I have never lived in lovely Singapore. :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Way too HI-FI which is where this industry is going, unfortunately, for my taste.

There existed a time when 'hi-fi' was a contraction for 'high fidelity'. I think, more so in the current context, 'hi-fi' may be applied deprecatingly
as a non-continuous and disaggregated presentation of sound. I don't think it has to be this way, but there aren't many live to 2-track recordings
using minimal mic techniques for us to hear/assess/enjoy.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Not sure where the Industry at large is going but there has been a seismic (IMO) change in what the ideal should be in our hobby.
Back in the days when High End Audio started, there was an Ideal. Reviewers were supposed to hold this Ideal dear. And of course they failed at it but some did try to keep it close in their evaluation however colored it was (and should be) by the very real psychological and psycho-acoustics failings that make reviewing an audio gear such a difficult proposition (we will not touch here the Elephant i the room ... the conditions under which most of their review/tests were/are conducted).
Today the mantra has changed and the Ideal is" Whatever one likes". We could add "at the moment". The manufacturer will come with something that is more better (please pardon the grammatical error it is on purpose). Or the audiophile tastes (or mood) could change and he/she will like a different gear
In the absence of an objective standard what could the reviewers opinions be, if not that: An opinion? I-e subject to change and impossible to defend ? So how do we define their credibility? Do we all like the same things to begin with abide to the same standards of reproduction? And this is assuming the reviewer is honest and this is most often than not a given ... Not all the time however. Some seem to have breached this implied honesty by actions that could be deemed reprehensible by a less forgiving market segment.
On this I do not see why anyone would make the reviewer responsible for following the reviewer’s advice? I think people become a little (more?) irrational when they shell the substantial amount of money that many reviewers often tout as being a "steal”. Still it should be seen as a recommendation, at most an opinion with all the caveats and flags, an opinion should present and raise.
In the end it is a matter of being aligned with the reviewer’s choice of gear and sound. Some of these reviewers have been pretty consistent (Training maybe because I believe there is such a thing) and that, again IMHO.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
In the end it is a matter of being aligned with the reviewer’s choice of gear and sound. Some of these reviewers have been pretty consistent (Training maybe because I believe there is such a thing) and that, again IMHO.

Yes, should one be able to identify with a reviewer, consistently, then the reviewer may have purchase. ;)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
There existed a time when 'hi-fi' was a contraction for 'high fidelity'. I think, more so in the current context, 'hi-fi' may be applied deprecatingly
as a non-continuous and disaggregated presentation of sound. I don't think it has to be this way, but there aren't many live to 2-track recordings
using minimal mic techniques for us to hear/assess/enjoy.

That is exactly how I meant it. The current context.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing