Cost of crating speakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, does anyone have experience buying large used speakers where the seller did not have the crates, and because you wanted it shipped, you had to organize the packing and crating of those speakers? If you know any companies that do this the US or Europe, please do list them

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had to have some made for the Alphas, if you are used to power tools you can make them yourselves, 'builders depot ' will cut the
wood into the correct sizes for you.
Keith.

But what if the speakers are in another country, then you want to call some company to go over to the seller's house, crate them, and ship them over to you

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well the reason I am asking the question is there are some bargains where the seller has disposed of the packaging, and it is easy to pick those speakers up if someone can crate or package them

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Why can't the seller contact the manufacturer of the speakers and see about getting a new set of crates?

When I was selling a pair of Kharmas, I did not have the crates. I contacted Kharma, they could build the crates designed for the model and ship them empty to me. It's not inexpensive, but if the speakers are large and expensive, it could be money well spent. Perhaps the buyer and seller could agree to share the cost.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, good idea

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Bonzo, how's it all going?
Have you decided on some model of speakers mate?

With Re to packing, as someone suggested, the original manufacturer will have the correct packing for their speakers. They will also be much safer shipped in their original packing.

There is no point in getting a good deal on the speakers and doing a shoddy job on the packing and finding the speakers damaged after they reach you. That would be very discouraging.

Get the seller to contact the manufacturer and come to an agreement with the cost, would certainly be my best advice as well.
Cheers, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Makes sense, RJ. I have couple of horns in mind for the long run, problem with horns is I.only like the expensive full range ones, usually each brand's compromised second from top I find pretty disappointing

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey mate, horns cool!

I was expecting something on the lines like GT audio works hybrid panels or AA panels. Horns, completely different ball game! You would also need to have a good room.

Which horns were you thinking of getting?
Are they Avant Garde by any chance? I really like those. There's a pair here going for 15 grand, great price but they are not new. Used pair of old Duo's. The new stuff is at crazy prices, might as well buy a house. ..

Cheers mate, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey mate, horns cool!

I was expecting something on the lines like GT audio works hybrid panels or AA panels. Horns, completely different ball game! You would also need to have a good room.

Which horns were you thinking of getting?
Are they Avant Garde by any chance? I really like those. There's a pair here going for 15 grand, great price but they are not new. Used pair of old Duo's. The new stuff is at crazy prices, might as well buy a house. ..

Cheers mate, RJ

I have ruled out AA. I haven't ruled out GT Audio, he is coming out with a bigger panel and transmission line subs. They are excellent value if I choose to not spend crazy money on horns, and can be expanded to MCH, unlike horns. I do like the Avantgarde Trios, but I find the duos, even the top Duo model (Mezzo) disappointing. I would stay planar (Quad, Logan, AA, GT Audio) rather than buying a compromised horn. I find that unlike with planars - where you get most of the Summit X with the Montis or the Ethos in smaller rooms - with horns, buying anything but top of the line seems a waste to me. 2-way horns just don't work for me. The bass and crossovers get into a mess.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes mate, very true about the horn issue, and the AV trio's are pretty awesome but so is the price! There is a well known chappy back in my native country who has the top of the line trio omega. The only thing that gets him really excited is to blast the roof off including the windows, doesn't quite listen to the music itself. I find that very annoying. ..

Why have you ruled out AA?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why have you ruled out AA?

I like a couple of horns better.
They are expensive with low resale value, which works only if they are my final speaker. As of now, they are behind two horns. So, if I am compromising on the horns, I believe the speaker should be either cheap or resaleable (like a Logan).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing