Comcast and Time Warner Cable to merge?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The cable industry will definitely try to consolidate to increase their buying power and influence. One of the reasons is the competition from Internet providers such as Netflix.

Comcast is simply trying to consolidate to wield even further influence. Yes they will be able to use their size to try to reduce the cost of the content they acquire but will NOT pass those savings off to their subscribers. In fact, the opposite will be the case. This merger will result in an ever increasing escalation of their fees to their customers. I for one would like the FCC to block the deal or if they approve it, approve it with significant teeth to prevent the fee abuses that are inevitable. Having a huge Comcast with the only significant competition from Directv will be a bad situation for us all. I just hope Verizon FiOS can hang in there in my area as their picture and internet are superb, although too pricey as well. Personally, I can't wait until the internet speeds are fast enough that you can stream all your content from the content originators directly so that we can only but the channels we want and do away with the cable bundles.

Hello, Joe Whip. I don't believe I have talked to you yet. Welcome to the forum! I was thinking the same thing about the FCC blocking the merger but it looks like the merger will only take up 30% of the available cable areas. I thought it was much more than that. If this is the case, then I do not see any reason why the FCC would oppose such a merger. Both companies need to work on their customer service as they both have less than stellar customer satisfaction. In fact, they both rank amongst the worst in the country.

Tom

The cable industry will definitely try to consolidate to increase their buying power and influence. One of the reasons is the competition from Internet providers such as Netflix.

With the recent ruling that Internet providers (such as Comcast) do not have to provide open access, we will see if they start blocking some content (Netflix, etc.).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing