Cocktail Audio AKA Novatron X40 Server

Crazy Steve

Nov 18, 2019
This may not be the place for this, but I couldn't find another forum that seemed appropriate...

I've been eyeing a 'music server' for quite a few years, but the technical expertise apparently required to assemble a home-built computer-based system is beyond me. All the advocates of these that I've talked to tell me 'it's simple' but their explanations quickly devolve into technobabble; I'm not particularly computer savvy. So I've waited for the audio manufacturers to answer the call with a ready-made component, which they have done.

Now, I'm rarely an early adopter, as I've found that waiting will generally get you a more 'mature' product (last try at early adoption resulted in my owning a DAT recorder...LOL). I'm on a budget (retired on a fixed income) so I don't have unlimited funds; I'm looking at $2.5 K or less. Some are simply too expensive, but clunky OS's, limited features, and less than sterling reviews have kept me away so far. I've also been holding out for one that looks like a 'component' that can be installed in a cabinet along with the rest of my gear, which has further limited my choices. I started looking at the Sony unit, but it's limitations turned me off... So that brings me to the X40...

This is a superseded model so pricing is very attractive. It's replacement (the X45) appears to be a fairly minor upgrade, making the X40 even more attractive. I've downloaded the owners manual and it seems to check all the boxes in terms of what I want it to do, and appears that most of its internal wearing bits are non-proprietary, which should make future repairs easier. What reviews I can find are generally good, but there's very little US-based information; most is from Europe. They don't appear to have much of a presence in the US, with only a couple of US retailers. There's also a ample supply of 'factory refurbished' units at greatly reduced pricing, but that does give me a bit of pause...

So, are there any end-users out there with opinions? Thanks!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had used X12 for 6 years with no issue.

Then I had used X30 for 9 months to feed Dave and HMS with good result so far.

It is easy to find music through its search function.

Thus I use this most of time while Jay's CDt2 is running only from time to time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing