CNNMoney says Samsung is failing

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Zach Epstein | BGR News

Of the hundreds of Android smartphones that have launched since the mobile platform first debuted in 2008, Samsung’s most recent flagship phone, the Galaxy S4, sold the best. The flagship phone quickly became the fastest-selling Android device of all time and Samsung went on to ship 40 million units in six months. Unfortunately for the company’s share price, analysts were expecting sales to be even better, so Samsung ended up missing expectations. But it’s not just analysts’ estimates that are hurting Samsung’s stock — the company reported unaudited results for the holiday quarter that saw profit dive 18% compared to the year-ago quarter.

According to CNNMoney’s Adrian Covert, Samsung’s strategy is failing. He calls Samsung’s flagship Galaxy S4 a “disappointment in every regard,” from design and specs to sales. He says the battle over specs has ended, and Samsung now needs to look elsewhere to ensure that its Galaxy branded smartphones remain appealing.

“Every other smartphone maker, meanwhile, was able to produce a phone that was just as fast, powerful, and capable as Samsung’s top smartphone — with a higher quality design and better system software,” Covert wrote. “Suddenly, there was very little to distinguish Samsung from the pack.”
It’s clear that Samsung’s growth has slowed, but some might argue that it has more to do with market saturation in many regions than increased competition at the high end from Samsung’s rivals. In the last reported quarter, Samsung shipped more smartphones than all of its top rivals combined, including Apple.
Meanwhile, competitors like LG and HTC are seriously struggling — each vendor’s high-end flagship phone flopped big time in 2013. Any growth enjoyed by Samsung’s Android rivals has been at the low end.

But growth is indeed the name of the game and Covert is correct in that regard; Samsung’s earnings haven’t shown that the consumer electronics giant is in a position to see sustained growth.

“Samsung needs more than just marketing hype,” Covert writes. “Consumers have caught on that many of the flashier features in Samsung’s products are just that – flash. Its products now need substance that make it more than just another high-end Android phone in a sea of high-end Android phones.”
Right again, but continued or even accelerated growth of the firm’s low-end smartphone lineup may be even more important than the Galaxy S5 and Note 4?s success this year. But in any case, 2014 is undoubtedly going to be a hugely important test for Samsung.

jiannone

Dec 4, 2013
This analysis is wrong. It's a problem of details but the idea that Samsung hasn't distinguished its feature set is patently incorrect. They have the watch, for God's sake. No one is doing that. They have a gagillion megapixel camera with optical zoom. These are far from indistinguishable differences from the competition. Whatever their failures are, feature distinction isn't one of them.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
TOTALLY agree with jiannone. Just picked up a new SAMSUNG NOTE THREE, and it is clearly superior to any prior phone I have ever seen, or used (last phone was an LG SMART PHONE, Android OS).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Knee Jerk Reaction: BS report ...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree....typical Apple fan-boy analysis.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I agree....typical Apple fan-boy analysis.

I was just thinking that it reads just like the knee-jerk reactions in the press and investment community when Apple has a 200% year and the witchdoctors on Wall Street were predicting 250%.

They're still selling more phones than all of their competitors combined? I think they'll make it through the next couple of quarters.

Tim

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
The big growth in smartphone and tablet sales won't be in selling pricey phones to customers who buy the latest and greatest and are are on their 6th phone now. It will be in developing countries where people want their 1st smartphone but can't afford Apple prices. And in USA and Europe where ordinary people just want a better phone than their current dumb phone. Samsung has been doing very well in capturing those markets. Apple is MIA.

HTC has been struggling for years. Chinese companies are on the rise.

This blogger is a raving windbag but he does deliver some useful info:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Problem is, there's little profit in the really cheap phones. You expand market share of Android perhaps, but that's little help to the hardware manufacturers.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I chuckle when I see folks with phones less in size than my Note 3... squinting at screens inches from their face.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I remember the Apple fanboys laughing at Samsung when they introduced the NOTE. You should have read the comments on CNET.....hilarious. Now Samsung is laughing as they have one of the hottest phones and everyone is jumping on the bigger is better bandwagon!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I remember the Apple fanboys laughing at Samsung when they introduced the NOTE. You should have read the comments on CNET.....hilarious. Now Samsung is laughing as they have one of the hottest phones and everyone is jumping on the bigger is better bandwagon!

I would have one if the time and the package price was right, but not because it's bigger and better; I'd have one of the smaller ones. An iPhone is the upper limit of what I call "pocket sized." No desire to carry a tablet in my jeans. YMMV. It's a moot point anyway. My 4S does everything I care to do with a phone and it's paid for. Practical application is the only bandwagon that matters to me when it comes to phones.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would have one if the time and the package price was right, but not because it's bigger and better; I'd have one of the smaller ones. An iPhone is the upper limit of what I call "pocket sized." No desire to carry a tablet in my jeans. YMMV. It's a moot point anyway. My 4S does everything I care to do with a phone and it's paid for. Practical application is the only bandwagon that matters to me when it comes to phones.

Tim

As it should be. And in my case as I've said before, the NOTE does that for me. If someone likes a smaller screen or a physical keyboard...more power to them. Who are we to knock their preferences.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing