Classical Music Shopping List

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks Rob.. I hope I find music that I will really like.

opened some boxes and took pictures of the first few lps inside the box. There's a box with lot's of Sibelius, another has maybe a dozen Debussy.

the heaviest box - boxed sets

I don't know about this box, I hope the other lp's inside the box turn out to be desirable

now, my lp collection has officially surpassed my digital collection... time to officially move to the dark side?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
dimfer, looks like you have a few London box sets. The London OSA sets are generally Opera. I see you also have an ARGO, which is a nice box set of Vivaldi. BTW, I think you have several monos in those sets. Looks like a good score though, happy listening.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats Dimfer...now for the discovery! Enjoy!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks to all who gave their inputs. I had recently placed them on shelves in a spare room. I will soon start cleaning them. I manually cleaned some and listened to them.

I originally placed the box sets flat but was advised to arrange them vertically, so I did.

I have another offer from a local record collector - he is asking $500 for a collection of 288 jazz records, promising me that they don't have ticks and pops. I know some of the artists like Benny Goodman, Johny Hodges, Ellington, Milt J etc, but not all. He sent me the videos below, showing most of the records for sale.

Is it worth chasing/investing into?

Jazz 1 http://youtu.be/L2roiyCWKsI

Jazz 2 http://youtu.be/JJuJVFdHPbI

Jazz 3 http://youtu.be/7QlwT-cZIu0

Jazz Demo http://youtu.be/5rcW9FkFbh0

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I spot in your pictures a boxed set of the Prokofiev Piano Concertos with Ashkenazy and Andre Previn. This is an absolutely mind blowing performance and an excellent recording. It is also vastly under-rated. If your records are in pristine condition, I am extremely envious.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I spot in your pictures a boxed set of the Prokofiev Piano Concertos with Ashkenazy and Andre Previn. This is an absolutely mind blowing performance and an excellent recording. It is also vastly under-rated. If your records are in pristine condition, I am extremely envious.

I just took a peek, records in the boxed sets you mentioned - looks pretty good. I have gone through a lot of the records, most of them are in mint shape. I guess I got lucky.

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Albums are cool, but they do take a lot of space, and time to care for.

And guess how much weight is say, 5,000 LPs inside their cardboard covers?

my wife allowed me to setup shelves for the lps in one of the spare rooms in our basement already, so I guess I can just keep on adding when I run out of shelf space :D

I don't worry much about the weight, our house is built for it as it is sitting on numerous concrete piles. I originally intended to build a 5,000 gallon indoor pond but chickened out, went ahead with only a 1,360 gal (approx 12,000 lbs) :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing