Class D amplifier has reached maturity - The Inner Ear review

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Ernie Fisher, Editor of premier Canadian magazine The Inner Ear, reviews the Genesis Reference Amplifier and states that he thought that Class D amplification has reached maturity with the GRA the proof of this bringing together technology and musicality.

I originally designed the Genesis amplifier only for my own use. On hindsight, I am glad that one of my dealers persuaded me to also release it as a product. At the time, it was just a tool to use to complete the design for the flagship Genesis 1.2 loudspeaker. The design got to the stage where the reference power amplifier I was using wasn’t transparent enough. Then, I used it at a show to drive the demo system, and dealers who heard it persuaded me that it had to be made available to the public. I haven't promoted it much, but dealers have used it extensively for their own demos.

In the review, Mr Fisher says, "though powerful and dynamic, the GRA never showed excessive muscle, but rather handled the entire musical signal with a touch of refinement, almost as though it wasn’t there. That is a rare experience for this listener who is forever looking for sonic signatures. This amp has one, to be sure, but it is written in almost invisible ink."

Read the full review here: http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/amplifiers/Genesis_2point2.shtml

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Interesting read, Gary, a few of your secrets let out out of the bag! Hearty approval from me for the type of tweaking you've applied, which have reaped rewards, from the comments of the reviewer. Fascinating that he calls your speakers "hard" with other amps, some people seem to find it very difficult to truly understand the "garbage in, garbage out" principle ...

I'm curious why you chose to have the decent power supply capacitance as an optional extra; where the costs for including such standard going to bump up the end price too much for the market?

Frank

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congratulations Gary! Nice FIRST review :) - based on what I heard with you at Denver, the amp did not show any sonic artifacts usually related to Class D designs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great review! Congrats!!!!!!!!!! When you posted elsewhere you are working on your own high-powered amp, I presume this was the one?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, guys! Very much appreciated :)

Actually..... it wasn't the first review. This is the fourth or fifth review worldwide (there were a few not in English). I finished the first version for my own design lab version 5 years ago, and didn't intend to sell it because being a loudspeaker manufacturer, I didn't want other amplifier manufacturers mad at me and not loan me gear for demos at shows. I've openly spoke about the break-throughs and off-the-books design principles used in the power supply to achieve this tube-like musicality in Class D amps for the past 5 years, but was getting irritated that it's not being "stolen" and used in other Class D designs to make them listenable.

So, next year, I'm going to release a 1,400W (into 4 ohms as all my speakers are 4 ohms) design at CES. That's the high-powered amp I'm currently working on. I'm pushing the voltage on it, and see if I can still keep watt #1 clean while I get it into watt #1800. I'm not interested in designing a muscle amp if it can't also deliver at the same time Katherine McPhee's sexy breathing into the microphone.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Katherine McPhee is reason enough for the existance of American Idol. Love her voice and her face!!

Check out the Bluray David Foster: The Hit Man - on her segment, you can hear her breath and it gives me goosebumps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, guys! Very much appreciated :)

Actually..... it wasn't the first review. This is the fourth or fifth review worldwide (there were a few not in English). I finished the first version for my own design lab version 5 years ago, and didn't intend to sell it because being a loudspeaker manufacturer, I didn't want other amplifier manufacturers mad at me and not loan me gear for demos at shows. I've openly spoke about the break-throughs and off-the-books design principles used in the power supply to achieve this tube-like musicality in Class D amps for the past 5 years, but was getting irritated that it's not being "stolen" and used in other Class D designs to make them listenable.

So, next year, I'm going to release a 1,400W (into 4 ohms as all my speakers are 4 ohms) design at CES. That's the high-powered amp I'm currently working on. I'm pushing the voltage on it, and see if I can still keep watt #1 clean while I get it into watt #1800. I'm not interested in designing a muscle amp if it can't also deliver at the same time Katherine McPhee's sexy breathing into the microphone.

Wow! Look forward to reading about the new amp! Good luck at CES!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing