Cinema / Is Art Dead?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
“[Cinema] was about confronting the unexpected on the screen and in the life it dramatized and interpreted, and enlarging the sense of what was possible in the art form.” (Martin Scorsese)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm glad he expressed his opinion without fear. Francis Ford Coppola too, and Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch.

They are certainly right when today CGI is the artificial menu du jours; actors in front of a green screen attached by bungee elastics talking to nobody else but to themselves.

There's a trend in Hollywood movie business, and it's not art.
The most famous artists in history were generally very poor, and when they got recognition they were dead by then.

Artificial Intelligence is already here solidly implemented and it's a disaster, terrible disaster.
Humans are losing it, the sense of true values only to be replaced by hocus pocus abracadabra.
The art of cinema doesn't exist anymore like it used to be.

So I agree overall with Mr. Martin Scorsese.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I find his point reasonable and somewhat valid, but also somewhat disingenuous. Yes, it is about art, but is he pretending it is not also about money, prestige, power and promoting his personal political agenda?

To some extent it is like a tube amp manufacturer lamenting the success of a company making solid-state amps, no?

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tbh, the twin evils of excess CGI and critically drowning movies in ID politics, is the end of cinema.

Has anyone seen Terminator Dark Fate, an unholy concoction of shoddy effects and anti-(white) male sentiment. Audiences have stayed away in droves.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've pretty much given up on movies. There is CGI infecting everything, and a total subtext of white liberal filmakers confessing on screen their angst at being white liberals. I wish the CGI made things more watchable, but it doesn't.

Star Wars has already been massacred. Marvel Next Phase promises to be even worse.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Millions for defense, but not a cent for tribute.

Robert Goodloe Harper

I like the multiple interpretations leaving that quote alone opens. As transcribed, it was a decision to spend as much on defending merchant vessels as would otherwise be plundered in tribute.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Tbh, the twin evils of excess CGI and critically drowning movies in ID politics, is the end of cinema.

Has anyone seen Terminator Dark Fate, an unholy concoction of shoddy effects and anti-(white) male sentiment. Audiences have stayed away in droves.
I've pretty much given up on movies. There is CGI infecting everything, and a total subtext of white liberal filmakers confessing on screen their angst at being white liberals. I wish the CGI made things more watchable, but it doesn't.

Star Wars has already been massacred. Marvel Next Phase promises to be even worse.

I had a conversation with a good friend years ago about politics in movies, its not cinema. I hadn't thought about it too much as in the past it was semi subdued.

But most everything in the last 10 or more years has been blatant. Marvel Civil War pissed me off so much I almost walked out of the theater and End game (watched at home) was close, very close to doing the same.

It is now a political platform.

The wife and I went to see Zombieland Double Tap and the over doing of the anti-gun issue to the point of melting them and making jewelry out of them when entering the commune. But in the end it was a gun smuggled in by a teenager that saved our hero, you cant completely eliminate the gun for ticket sales purposes.

Another thing that has turned me off to Hollywood is the hypocrisy. So many have personal anti-gun agendas (Jason Stratham) and yet 100% of their product is dependent on them. Hollywood has normalized mass killing in movies for entertainment, but yet protests it on a daily basis, where is your moral obligation to society.

Hollywood would not survive without guns, murder and violence.

I am only using guns as one example here as EVERY movie now has to have the obligatory race/sex/gender/political/privilege/gay issues present in it, End Game not to be excluded.

I used to be a movie nut. I have a 7.3 home theater system that I used to have movie nights religiously with home made popcorn and candy and lots of friends over. Now it pretty much gets used to watch concert videos only.

These days the second I see the political/social brainwashing input I turn it off or change the channel. It has cut down my screen time by 90%.

Actual cinema has been dead for decades, and recent stuff has been deplorable.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN

I haven't noticed this trend of anti-white undertones in movies. Is this a trend in British cinema? Can you point me to which movies you've noticed this in?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I had a conversation with a good friend years ago about politics in movies, its not cinema. I hadn't thought about it too much as in the past it was semi subdued.

But most everything in the last 10 or more years has been blatant. Marvel Civil War pissed me off so much I almost walked out of the theater and End game (watched at home) was close, very close to doing the same.

It is now a political platform.

The wife and I went to see Zombieland Double Tap and the over doing of the anti-gun issue to the point of melting them and making jewelry out of them when entering the commune. But in the end it was a gun smuggled in by a teenager that saved our hero, you cant completely eliminate the gun for ticket sales purposes.

Another thing that has turned me off to Hollywood is the hypocrisy. So many have personal anti-gun agendas (Jason Stratham) and yet 100% of their product is dependent on them. Hollywood has normalized mass killing in movies for entertainment, but yet protests it on a daily basis, where is your moral obligation to society. How many people does our hero have to kill to be a good movie.

Hollywood would not survive without guns, murder and violence.

I am only using guns as one example here as EVERY movie now has to have the obligatory race/sex/gender/political/privilege/gay issues present in it, End Game not to be excluded.

I used to be a movie nut. I have a 7.3 home theater system that I used to have religious movie nights with home made popcorn and candy and lots of friends over. Now it pretty much gets used to watch concert videos only.

These days the second I see the political/social brainwashing input I turn it off or change the channel. It has cut down my screen time by 90%.

We speak of movies as being art and reflective of life. Politics is a subset of life. Politics preys on aspects of life as a means to wrangle power. When we start claiming that politics is seeping into movies, do we not already understand that it's inevitable. In my youth, we consumed many a religious movie as a family. It wasn't until moving to America and realizing that politicians had co-opted religion that I realized religion in movies was contentious. Probably explains why you can't find a religious movie these days to save your life. Speaking of moving to America - you can't make an immigrant movie nowadays without it being considered political. So, if I was to make a biopic about my life (not that there's anything of interest here), will it be art/cinema, or an immigration agenda for the times? When did we give up on art to appease politics?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Adam, sorry I was being too literal. I mean the sidelining of white men. John Connor is wiped out early in Dark Fate, and there is a growing trend to totally marginalise in woke Hollywood.

Even the American hero Neil Armstrong was reduced to a stereotype in the latest film.

Van Helsing is a woman in the new Dracula adaptation (yeah, right), feminists up front and central in the totally non feminist Victorian era War Of The Worlds.

Ghostbusters remake.

James Bond THIS close to being Jemima Bond after DCraig vacates.
Dr. Who now a woman (and a totally useless one at that).

White men everywhere, welcome to the Hollywood and woke culture erasure.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Adam, totally get the "art reflects life and thus politics" sentiment.

But now culture is trying to set the agenda. Trans activism is artificially and abruptly pushing a line, and Hollywood cannot wait to keep ramping up the ID politics agenda.

And w culture being at the very forefront of the blowback against Trump and Brexit, expect this $hit to get way worse before it has a chance to recede.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Adam, I truly hate it. I can't now guarantee a film doesn't try to batter me w the "inclusive" message.
Basically, one group has to stand down to let others advance.
The days of In The Heat Of The Night or Shaft making great, insightful, and crucially, ENTERTAINING movies with a political point are well past.
Great films with a resonating feminist message like The Last Seduction are now replaced by ID politics exploitation junk Hustlers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

It's all about the money. Follow the money trail. Investors need to be paid

But every now and then there comes along a rare treat of acting and directorial skills such as Joker this year and Bohemian Rhapsody last year to name but a few.

I refuse to watch anything related to superheroes as it doesn't provide anything entertaining to me

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Great roundtable interviews for cinema aficionados ...
¤ https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...sese-greta-gerwig-director-roundtable-1263404

Some of the hot shots this year.

If someone would ask me which other career I would have pursued in life, filmmaking would certainly be on top. It's all about artistic creativity, first and foremost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing