CD Player Having Problem Reading CDs

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I have a stereo system that I bought for a while but seldom listen to. I recently found out that the CD Player cannot read the CDs sometimes. I do not know what I should do. Is it caused by the lens, or because of other problems?

I googled, and found the following two products:

E-books Lens Cleaning Disc (7 USD)

Or

CHISTO Disk Analoguer CD/DVD Cleaning Liquid (45 USD)

BTW, one stupid question:

If I get the Chisto Disk Analoguer, do I need to use it on "all the CDs that are having problem with the CD Player"?

Thanks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Likely the lens. Try the Allsop CD ROM Cleaning Disc. It's a CD with tiny brushes to clean the laser lens. And it's cheap so if it doesn't resolve your issue, no big loss.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
But won't the tiny brushes harm the laser lens?

What about Cleaning Disc that uses liquid? But it has moisture problem...

Thanks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
https://m.wikihow.com/Clean-a-CD-Player

http://grayreview.com/best-cd-lens-cleaners/

? I use the third one from Allsop, with eight tiny brushes:
Allsop Ultra ProLens Cleaner for DVD, CD Drives.*

For unusually tough situations I use a can of compressed air with a thin tube @ the mouth and press couple shots aiming towards the lens with the disc drawer open.

If not successful, I remove the top cover and go directly to the lens.
- Remove the disc clamp top.
- Wet a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol (99%)
- Sqeeze two fingers to remove excess, so that it won't drip.
- Rub gently the lens for few seconds.
- Use the other side of the Q-tip to dry for two seconds.
_____

Sometime some of my friends have their CD players that don't work anymore.
I power the CD player.
I press the disc tray button to open it.
I put my mouth close to it.
I blew air from my mouth inside towards the lens.
I put a CD in, press play, voila; the music plays like by magic.
I look @ my friend's faces with their smiles, and I smile back @ them. :)

* $7.99 -> https://www.allsop.com/product/cd-dvd-lens-cleaner-56500/

Last edited:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Is this per chance an old (e.g., manufactured 20th century) CD player that will never play only certain CDs?

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I'm planning to get a CD Player Cleaning Disc. Would be appreciated if anyone can tell me that "will the Cleaning Disc tiny brushes harm the laser lens"?

Thanks.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Another reason could be the laser is going. I have had CD players in the past die, and it was the laser going weak. It had errors and skipping, eventually not playing anything.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Another reason could be the laser is going. I have had CD players in the past die, and it was the laser going weak. It had errors and skipping, eventually not playing anything.

What causes the laser to go weak? Age or usage of the CD Player?

I have the stereo system for about 10 years, but I seldom listen to it. Will the laser still going weak?

Another question, will the Cleaning Disc that uses liquid harm the internal structure of the CD Player?

Thanks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The Allsop disc works and it doesn't need any liquid. Lasers are generally good for thousands of hours unless they fail early, which is always a possibility. Having said that, they will typically exhibit the systems described by astrostar above before failure.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
"exhibit the systems before failure"?

What does it mean?

BTW, Allsop products are not sold at the place where I live. Are there other brands (with good quality products) that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It could be many reasons.

If dust accumulated inside it's a good thing to remove the top cover and use a can of compressed air. Then clean the laser lens with a Q-Tip and isopropyl alcohol. Google it for a tutorial YouTube video.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
"exhibit the systems before failure"?

What does it mean?

BTW, Allsop products are not sold at the place where I live. Are there other brands (with good quality products) that you would recommend?

Thanks.

I meant symptoms, not systems such as skipping, unable to read disc, etc. Can you not order from Amazon.com? Maxell makes a similar product. If not, try contacting Allsop directly and find other purchase options. This should not be difficult. I'm done.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing