Cartridges

MylesBAstor

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There are so many good cartridges out there today. Who wudda thunk just a couple of years ago? Listening to a couple now and two more to arrive.

mep

Apr 21, 2010
There are so many good cartridges out there today. Who wudda thunk just a couple of years ago? Listening to a couple now and two more to arrive.
Between some of the best LPs being pressed today, the great cartridges that are available, and the availability of great turntables, I truly think we are in the golden age of analog. And this doesn't include all of the great phono stages and R2R.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
Between some of the best LPs being pressed today, the great cartridges that are available, and the availability of great turntables, I truly think we are in the golden age of analog. And this doesn't include all of the great phono stages and R2R.
Great points!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I just fit my TT...a Rega P3-24 on steroids...with an Audiomods Classic arm and a new Clearaudio Maestro Ebony II MM. I must admit that it sounds sweet...better than the RB301 and Exact2 it replaced..

rega iso 1.jpg rega audiomod 1.jpg rega audiomod 2.jpg rega maestro cart.jpg

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston
Yes I agree, but just a couple of years ago, we still had the Lyra Titan I, the Clearaudio Goldfinger, the Ortofon A90, the AirTight Supreme, the Dynavector XV-1S, the stone bodied Koetsus. Now, I guess, we have the Atlas, the Anna, the XV-1t, and still the Supreme, the Coral Stone and the Goldfinger. I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones that I have not heard. What are you listening to Myles that is so much better than what we had just two years ago? Curious minds want to know.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
There have always been good sounding cartridges out there, and not just the expensive check list varieties.

I think the evolution in resolving systems including phono stages have allowed better performance from most cartridges out there.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My RtR deck is having some rest since I got my turntable fully refurbished and a new cartridge was installed, there is just something ritualistic on spinning vinyl and manipulating an arm/needle at the beginning of each record...and yes...it sounds great.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
The sweet spot for purchasing any of these "great" new audiophile products has always been 2-3 generations back. The price is half or less than the new products and the performance is still excellent. OK, maybe not that last 1% that the new product has, but damn fine all the same.

Now for a cartridge, you do have to worry about the age of the suspension and potential former abuse. for example, I have a Transfiguration Temper that is truly excellent, but it is probably 10+ years old now. Is a new Phoenix better? Yes, by many accounts from owners who have had both, but even that is more than twice what I paid for mine.

Cost not being an obstacle, there has always been great stuff out there to check out in every generation, and technology generally tends to improve, but I (for one) am not made out of money to ever do more than hear these pieces at shows (which is never at their best).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There have always been good sounding cartridges out there, and not just the expensive check list varieties.

I think the evolution in resolving systems including phono stages have allowed better performance from most cartridges out there.
+1. I think the Ortofon 2M Black is a steal at $700.