Canada
what's your best car wax?

what's in your detailing kit?

what's your best car detailing advise?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
what's your best car wax? Carnuba wax-Eagle one spray wax for quick jobs.

what's in your detailing kit? Spray Nine for plastic . Resolve carpet cleaner, Armor All leather cleaner.

what's your best car detailing advise?

When cleaning outside windows wipe in one direction -when cleaning inside wipe in the other. helps locate streaks. Use a car wash that includes carnauba. Keep car entirely wet until you finish. Use a chamois. I know they are a pain.
Finally, if you can afford it, have someone do it professionally.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I like Meguiar's also. Probably not a best if going for a show car shine but their NextGen Tech Wax (or something like that) has got to be one of the easiest to use, longest lasting waxes I've tried.

For washing though I tend to go in a bit different direction than most. If really dirty spray off the loose stuff. Then wash with almost straight water with about a drop of one of Meguiar's car wash soaps in it to make the water flow better. Either use multiple buckets or change the water often. All of this definitely in the shade. Especially if the water is as hard as here. Keeping it wet helps but with really hard water the spots still build regardless. Shade tends to keep them soft and out of the paint letting a slightly damp towel wipe them off easily. Cool paint is also harder than when warm. This would be much easier if they'd still put floor drains in garages.

Last dry with microfiber or pure cotton terry. Chamois's work but always seemed to strip the wax faster. Even the syntethic one.

Some of this may be excess if your water is normal. Around here it's very hard. If I remember correctly it runs something like 16-18 grains/gallon of calcium where I believe around 6 is more typical. The local water company quit publishing this particular number. I tried using one of the Mr. Clean car wash system filters which worked well, though they were only good for 1.5-2 washes. Didn't like the rest of the system. I believe Griots sells a much larger filter system for this. I'm tempted to try one though if it only upped the number of washes slightly the cost would still be excessive. A water softener helps though since they only trade sodium for calcium is still spots. The spots don't seem quite as tenacious, however.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Does anyone use an electric buffer? I have over 400sq.ft. of diamond plate in the garage and the wife is getting tired of "wax on, wax off"!!

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I haven't used one myself for years and wouldn't trust myself with one of the high speed jobs anymore as a result. Definite learning curve there as you can burn the paint pretty easy. Don't know that that would matter for diamond plate.

For paint I've heard the one Griot's sells recommended. I believe it's a random orbital type and much safer for paint. It would likely do diamond plate also. I've thought of getting one of these but haven't yet so no first hand report.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Does anyone use an electric buffer?

I don't have one yet, but I will get one soon, probably a Porter Cable 7424XP. My cousin owns one and it is quite easy to use, with minimum risk of paint burn. Flex is supposed to be the best out there.

Currently using Mothers wax but will get into better wax and car care products soon. Dodo Juice is supposed to be really good and currently on sale at eshine. I use carwashing brush on older vehicles (for speed) but using some fancy carwashing mitts on newer vehicles. My technique is very basic, using the two bucket system. One bucket has soapy water, other is just plain water. I make sure I wash my mitts on the water bucket first before dipping it into the soapy water bucket.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing