Captain America Civil War via Auro 3D Upmixer= The Best

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I just streamed this movie via Amazon upmixed to 192/24 PCM and played back via the Auromatic upmixer in my Marantz 7702. This was the absolute best surround experience ever in my system. Better than Dolby Digital, Dolby-HD, DTS-HD and Dolby Surround. Comparing to Dolby it is like Dolby uses a much too exaggerated mix on the low frequency content and over slams the dynamics to create a WOW effect. The Auromatic version is less exaggerated and seems more coherent. You really notice it in scenes where you have a quiet scene just before all hell breaks loose. When hell breaks loose yes, you hear explosions that seem ready to bring the roof down but voices and things like bullets whizzing by seem to track with precision in the mix, not just general panning from side to side. I love the fact that I can get this experience with simple PCM (although it is upmixed via my Xonar U7 soundcard) and don't need any fancy shmancy decoders for a plethora of different codecs. In a way it kind of future proofs my rig for whatever Dolby and DTS have coming down the pike.
Auro recommends full range speakers all around and I have set up my system as close to that recommendation as possible. To really create the best surround system I think you need a lot of power for the huge dynamics in these types of movies and as full a range speaker as possible for your height channels.

Last edited:
I'm glad to read your post above, because:

1. Many people gave positive critics to the film.
2. Only audio multichannel connoisseurs appreciate Auro-Matic upmixer.
3. Europeans are more sophisticated...in general.
4. America is big on Captain America.
5. China is big on 3D.
6. Looking forward to the 3D Blu-ray in just over a week.
7. We live on a beautiful blue planet.

* You did mention Dolby Surround (Dolby Atmos's upmixer), bit you did not mention DTS Neural:X (DTS:X's upmixer).
It's too bad that Marantz couldn't offer DTS:X via a firmware update for the 7702, like they did later on with the 7702MKII.
It's not a big deal, that was an earlier pre/pro.

Audio evolution: Now Denon/Marantz is upgrading some of their models with DTS:X
And, with 32-bit/192kHz DACs.

And just now: Denon two new high-end AV receivers are going to get a firmware update (eventually) for Audyssey MultEQ XT32 ... for some manual flexibility in adjusting their Room EQ. It will spill to Marantz newer products...AV receivers and pre/pros.

All in all I'm happy to read your post and your satisfaction with Auro-Matic. Europeans too appreciate that newer audio codec.
North Americans? Some too appreciate it, particularly with music. But others took pleasure @ banishing it all together. Why? Because most never tried it @ home, and others weren't satisfied with the technical aspects of it plus they didn't like how its designer with his team introduced it. It's a complicated human psychological thing. :b

Me I got none yet...but I want it all...Auro-3D included. Music and Movies are two things among a multitude of other things I enjoy in life...mono, stereo and multidimensional.
I am not alone with you, Chuck, and others.

Thanks Northstar, the thing that surprised me is I used to use codecs, DD, DTS, whatever. The idea that I could get this type of SQ via streaming from Amazon in PCM just knocked my sox off. Now I don't need to collect the BRD anymore. I have a 3D projector and like 3D, maybe I'll get the BRD and do a comparison.In the theater this was an Atmos film, I don't think it will be Atmos on BRD though. Whatever you end up getting just make sure you have amps with a lot of headroom for the setup you use. It is a blast when during these action sequences it seems like the paint is peeling from the walls because the sound is so immersive.
I looked at the bugs people were experiencing with the DTS-X firmware in the Marantz units I can wait for another year or two before upgrading again. I am so happy with the 7702 and when I hear from Marantz dealers it seems like the SQ difference between the 7702 and even the 8802 isn't that big of a gap. The 7703 is coming out in about a month and you will probably see discounts on both the 7702 and the 7702MKII. Keep your eyes peeled for a deal:)

You are right; Captain America: Civil War is a Disney Blu-ray movie title, which means no immersive audio...just plain jane DTS-HD MA 7.1 surround.
Disney is always last to join the party. But, for this one it comes in 3D (not all Disney BR movies are released in 3D in North America, which is also another penalty from Disney studios in Hollywood).

Looking forward to it:

Click on it ? for specs.

This is another reason I like Auromatic is it works great with PCM and no more format headaches.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing