Can't always Believe what you Read.....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
From Paul (Bernie's son) Grundman...

Pro Sound Network

"copies of digital files degrades the sound" ??

"interleaved and dual mono sound different" ??

See if you can spot more!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Before we get into technical points, this guy needs to go back to college and take some writing classes. It is like a stream of consciousness with fragmented thoughts and explanations.

So it was hard to know the heck he was saying. Seems like he was claiming that if you upload a digital file to another place to be used as data files you better not send them interleaved files, use CD or other means of copying. He also seems to think capturing in higher resolution and then dithering down is bad. And did I read that he says he can tell all of these differences blind 10 out of 10 times?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What is "interleaved"? A single track with coding and steering info that allows segregation into two separate tracks with a decoder? vs. two discrete mono tracks?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
What is "interleaved"? A single track with coding and steering info that allows segregation into two separate tracks with a decoder? vs. two discrete mono tracks?

Yes.... there is a stereo-interleaved.... stereo non--interleaved and 2 mono tracks... some might call this non-interleaved, but there is no data to "connect" the two.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't think that is the first time I have heard studio engineers think that copies of digital files degrade the sound. I would think more along the lines that a digital file that was recorded on one DA AD machine but played back on a different machine might not sound as good as the original machine, or it might sound better, depending on the machine. Bit loss or bit deterioration or information loss? Seems like that can be proven or disproven with measurements.

It sounds like he and the studio engineers have made a lot of assessments based on listening, which makes them a studio variation of the loathsome subjectivists. Whoever is in charge will make the ultimate determination.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Check out what he says about software plug-ins:
Prosoundnetwork Blogs - Can I Get A Plug-In ?

"we’d be in our custom computers that we built here with the software we use from the manufacturer that has a different code than the ones most buy. Our computers also have barely any processing going on, and special internal changes are present to ensure the material is not getting as much noise into the master as other procedures might. Its unfortunate I can’t get into it much, but let’s put it blatantly: if you have this plug-in and run it on your Mac tower or PC, and we run it, it’ll sound unlike the same plug-in when the file is written."

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Ha, Ha! Yeah, that one sounds like he doesn't understand his own equipment, but is promoting it anyway with BS.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Do you suppose he is using "noise" in the sense of anything that can potentially affect the digital data (which would be correct but I'm not convinced he knows it) or "noise" in the sense of data (or sound) added to the audio (like hiss, buzzes, clicks, etc.) which is probably not correct.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here's another one with misinformation. You would think these guys know better...

Shawn Britton – Senior Mastering Engineer at Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs
“One of the reasons by Mobile Fidelity is doing vinyl again, analog if you prefer, is that analog, it’s continuous. If you look at a sine wave, it’s a continuous wave. Whereas digital is an approximation, or a subset, of the analog waveform, it’s sampled, it’s steps, so you don’t get the full information. The resolution is not there. So with vinyl, even to neophytes, it’s immediately apparent the sound quality is so much better with vinyl.”

Now we know why analog sounds better than digital.....!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing