Can Hydra Cyclops connected by Venom PS first ?

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Dear Caelin,

I want to upgrade to buy Cyclops for my pair of mono classD (switch based) power amp,
suppose Cyclops should be plugged directly to wall for the best result.

However, my home another wall plug is little bit far, can I use Venom PS8 via Alpha HC connected to wall first and then plug another 20A PC to PS8 as a kind of extender ?

Or should I buy Venom Extender PC and still need to plug Cyclops to the extender better ?

Thanks in advance.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The power cable from wall to Cyclops is critical to its performance. Do not plug the Cyclops into the PS8. Do not use an extension cord.

You need to have a custom cable made for the Cyclops that is the correct length to reach the wall outlet. A custom Venom-HC should work good.

Otherwise you are really wasting your money for the Cyclops.

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Thanks Caelin, very useful advise to avoid incorrect application of Cyclops.

If I use one of wallet to plug Alpha HC >> Cyclops (Direct).

What application should I use for the second wall plug (SR-Z1) ?

Option 1. Alpha HC >> Venom PS8. - Will it also be defeated for the separation of cyclops performance purpose ?

Option 2. Alpha Digital >> LPU (ac to dc linear power supply) - for killing effective the digital noise in class D power amps purpose.

Option 3. Should not plug anything in the same wallet of Cyclops.

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
It would be ok to plug PS8 into same outlet. As long as the total current draw is less than ~70-80 percent of the circuit rating. If the total system current requirement exceeds 70 percent continuous, you should install a second AC circuit if possible.

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Thanks Caelin for quick expertise advise.

Then I would give up the upgrade path for Cyclops and will go for Titron to replace my current Hydra AV and then re-use my Hydra AV to plug into another wall AC power (/w longer Alpha HC).

After acquired Titron, I will plug all 3 power amps (2 mono and 1 for Center & Rear speakers) to Titron and also the Pioneer AV Receiver and Linn ASDM player and Exaktbox (DAC) into Titron. Other AV components & Computer Equipment (TV, BD Player, LPSs for [NAS, WiFi Router, hub switch], Subwoofer) will be moved to the Hydra AV.

Any comment?

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks Caelin for quick expertise advise.

Then I would give up the upgrade path for Cyclops and will go for Titron to replace my current Hydra AV and then re-use my Hydra AV to plug into another wall AC power (/w longer Alpha HC).

After acquired Titron, I will plug all 3 power amps (2 mono and 1 for Center & Rear speakers) to Titron and also the Pioneer AV Receiver and Linn ASDM player and Exaktbox (DAC) into Titron. Other AV components (TV, BD Player, LPSs for [NAS, WiFi Router, hub switch], Subwoofer) will be moved to the Hydra AV.

Any comment?

Good plan.

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Thanks Caelin.

One more question about second next step of upgrade path (next step is to buy Titron) with below digital devices are in my system :

a. 2 x LPS for [NAS, Wifi Router, Hub Switch, Fibra Modem, Media Converters] - via Alpha Digital PCs
b. Linn Akurate DSM player - via Zitron Python PC
c. Linn Akurate Exaktbox (DAC) - via Sigma Digital PC

Would it be an effective upgrade if I buy Hydra DPC-6 and plug above a,b,c items into a DPC-6 (in order to isolate their digital noise) ?
If yes, how to connect new DPC-6 would be better approach :-

Option 1. Plug new DPC-6 to Hydra AV (one of the eight plugs)
Option 2. Plug new DPC-6 to Titron (one of the eight plugs)
Option 3. Plug new DPC-6 to the same SR-Z1 of Hydra AV Wallet (second wall plug)
Option 4. Plug new DPC-6 to the same SR-Z1 of Titron Wallet (second wall plug)

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks Caelin.

One more question about second next step of upgrade path (next step is to buy Titron) with below digital devices are in my system :

a. 2 x LPS for [NAS, Wifi Router, Hub Switch, Fibra Modem, Media Converters] - via Alpha Digital PCs
b. Linn Akurate DSM player - via Zitron Python PC
c. Linn Akurate Exaktbox (DAC) - via Sigma Digital PC

Would it be an effective upgrade if I buy Hydra DPC-6 and plug above a,b,c items into a DPC-6 (in order to isolate their digital noise) ?
If yes, how to connect new DPC-6 would be better approach :-

Option 1. Plug new DPC-6 to Hydra AV (one of the eight plugs)
Option 2. Plug new DPC-6 to Titron (one of the eight plugs)
Option 3. Plug new DPC-6 to the same SR-Z1 of Hydra AV Wallet (second wall plug)
Option 4. Plug new DPC-6 to the same SR-Z1 of Titron Wallet (second wall plug)

If you have a computer based audio system or media server, the DPC-6 is a very serious upgrade. Highly recommended.

Connect all computer related components to the DPC-6. i.e. Computer, server, wifi router, disk arrays, monitors, upsamplers, clocks,etc.

Do not connect the DAC to the DPC-6 rather connect it to the TRITON.

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Connect the DPC-6 to the TRITON.

Thanks Caelin,

Should I get a new Tython first and plug into Triton before get a DPC-6, in terms of the more effectiveness of of upgrade path ?
If I buy Typhon, should I plug it into 1 of 8 sockets in triton or just plug it into the same SR-Z1 which Triton is connecting to ? (I am using Alpha Digital to LPS in another wall socket to reduce whole system digital noise).

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks Caelin,

Should I get a new Tython first and plug into Triton before get a DPC-6, in terms of the more effectiveness of of upgrade path ?
If I buy Typhon, should I plug it into 1 of 8 sockets in triton or just plug it into the same SR-Z1 which Triton is connecting to ? (I am using Alpha Digital to LPS in another wall socket to reduce whole system digital noise).

Get TYPHON first.

Plug TYPHON into one of the TRITON outlets. It does not matter which one.

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
Get TYPHON first.

Plug TYPHON into one of the TRITON outlets. It does not matter which one.

Thanks for your reply.

I am existing using Hydra AV (Upgrade to Titron is in my plan). If my budget onhand is US$6,000 only, should I get a new Typhon first and enjoy Tyhon to be plugged into my existing Hydra AV ?

Or I should buy a new Titron and let both Wall sockets to have Shunyata Power Distributions (ONE is Hydra AV and the other is Triton) and then buy Typhon (as second stage of upgrade) later to be plugged into Tritron ?

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks for your reply.

I am existing using Hydra AV (Upgrade to Titron is in my plan). If my budget onhand is US$6,000 only, should I get a new Typhon first and enjoy Tyhon to be plugged into my existing Hydra AV ?

Or I should buy a new Titron and let both Wall sockets to have Shunyata Power Distributions (ONE is Hydra AV and the other is Triton) and then buy Typhon (as second stage of upgrade) later to be plugged into Tritron ?

I would get the TYPHON.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
You should get a badge for asking non-stop questions. :)

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Caelin, what length PC to use from Shunyata Cyclops to wall?

Caelin,

What length PC would be ideal for the connection between a Cyclops and the wall? I was planning to use a 1.75m Zitron Alpha HC which is on order. Is this acceptable or is there an optimal length (e.g. such as used with the Typhon which comes with the shorter length dedicated PC)?

FYI, the Cyclops will be connecting ARC REF 250 monoblocks also using Zitron Alpha HC's @1.75m.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy NY!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing