Bose 901

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I had my eye open for a pair of small stand mounted speakers. Something where room placement was not critical. Perhaps placed in a corner when not in use.
When I made my usual round at the thrift store electronic section. A pair of Bose 901 black complete with stand and speaker cord caught my eye. I purchased them immediately.
I then located a disctinued Marantz receiver. Using the bluetooth option i paired it with my smartphone. The results are magnificent.
Just goes to show. Don' t accept rumors. Make your own decisions.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Did you get the proper Bose equalizer for the speakers, or are you EQing them in some other way? They really need the equalizer to avoid sounding like a table radio in balance--as in all midrange--no bass and especially no highs.

I agree that when properly equalized and set up as recommended by Bose, the 901s are not nearly as problematic as some may believe from their general audiophile reputation. For more reasonable reviews, see, for example, the ToneAudio review, and the original Julian Hirsch review. But be aware that owners and past owners are widely divided on these, much as is the case with the Klipschorn. See the 63 consumer reviews at AudioReview.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks.
I picked up a seperate equalizer. I also picked a Bose sub. It was surprising how good they sounded before the fact.
I agree. These speakers siffered from exorbitant ratings they could never live up to.
I

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
For a minute, I thought it was April 1.

Reactions: rubinken

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I had the series 6 in the late 80's connected to a 55 wpc receiver and it took me months to get the correct room placement but once I did they were satisfying. Loud with good bass lock and surprisingly good imaging. I think the rolled off highs probably helped with those R&R cd's

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing