Bill Evans

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Jonathan:

Problem with PIJ is that it's a defective recording. There's a high pitched whistle (for lack of a better term) on every cut on the album. Have heard it on all vinyl and CD releases and the better the system, the more annoying it is :(

Well, that should discourage folks from admitting they don't hear it. :)

Tim

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Dear Myles,

Thanks. I just got out my fancy wancy copy of it which is an audiophile SACD hybrid and it sounds okay and I can't hear the whistle. I've listened to this for some 40 years and never heard it. That doesn't mean it isn't there. Might be my ear, who knows. But never heard it and still don't over a very fine system. But the music is stellar. (The cymbals are not well recorded on it to be kind. The bass is pretty good and the piano acceptable close micing.)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dear Myles,

Thanks. I just got out my fancy wancy copy of it which is an audiophile SACD hybrid and it sounds okay and I can't hear the whistle. I've listened to this for some 40 years and never heard it. That doesn't mean it isn't there. Might be my ear, who knows. But never heard it and still don't over a very fine system. But the music is stellar. (The cymbals are not well recorded on it to be kind. The bass is pretty good and the piano acceptable close micing.)

Hi Jonathan,

Listen to the first track on the first side (same goes for the XRCD). It's there in the left channel, particularly from the middle of the track on. As the system's resolution increased, I began to hear it on all the cuts.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well, I wanted to start somewhere. If it really speaks to me, then I'd go on to amass more of his oeuvre. If not one of the aforementioned albums, I'm open to suggestions.

Lee

Lee:

One other recording you might want to get ahold of is Oliver Nelson The Blues and the Abstract Truth (Impulse A5). Accompanying Evans on piano is an all star lineup with Roy Haynes (one of my favorite and IMHO, highly underrated drummers), Eric Dolphy, Paul Chambers and Freddie Hubbard!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Lee:

One other recording you might want to get ahold of is Oliver Nelson The Blues and the Abstract Truth (Impulse A5). Accompanying Evans on piano is an all star lineup with Roy Haynes (one of my favorite and IMHO, highly underrated drummers), Eric Dolphy, Paul Chambers and Freddie Hubbard!

Myles,

There are several versions on Amazon. The original remastered 1995 CD, the remastered 2007 CD, and the SHM (Super High Material) CD, and a SACD coming in December. Any comments as to which one is preferable?

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

There are several versions on Amazon. The original remastered 1995 CD, the remastered 2007 CD, and the SHM (Super High Material) CD, and a SACD coming in December. Any comments as to which one is preferable?

Lee

Sorry can't help you there :( I was commenting upon Chad's new 45 rpm release. If I had to guess, I'd either wait for the SACD (I assume its from Analog Productions and mastered by Steve Hoffman). That one is the only one that is definitely from the original tapes; the source of the other media is a crapshoot.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Sorry can't help you there :( I was commenting upon Chad's new 45 rpm release. If I had to guess, I'd either wait for the SACD (I assume its from Analog Productions and mastered by Steve Hoffman). That one is the only one that is definitely from the original tapes; the source of the other media is a crapshoot.

Here's the first review I've seen:

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=8241

I also considered the SHM release from Amazon, higher priced than SACD. For one of the more important jazz milestones, it would be good to have the best version.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's the first review I've seen:

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=8241

I also considered the SHM release from Amazon, higher priced than SACD. For one of the more important jazz milestones, it would be good to have the best version.

Lee

Lee:

One other recording you might want to check out is The Incredible Kai Windings Trombones (Impulse A3). Creed Taylor wanted to make a splash with the launch of the new, distinctive Impulse jazz series and this album is one of the earliest releases from this then fledgling label. Awesome sounding LP with Evans appearing on three tracks (Black Coffee, Michie, and Bye, Bye Blackbird). Reason mention this album is that this recording done in 1961 is to my ears very un-Evans like. He doens't have that smooth, mellow, melodic flow going here. Very different sound! In fact, this recording may very well be one of the finest RVG recordings I've heard!

There's also some other great jazz musicians appearing on the album including Ron Carter, Jimmy Knepper, Olatunji (you should hear his conga solo!), etc.

I hope Chad will reissue this on 45 rpm LP! I'm also going to try and rustle up Impulse A1 also with Kai Winding.

roninathens

Aug 21, 2012
high pitched whistle

So GLAD to see your post! At first I thought I was CRAZY! The noise is so annoying! Just got a new REGA RP6 and it's hard to listen to the recording now :(

Jonathan:

Problem with PIJ is that it's a defective recording. There's a high pitched whistle (for lack of a better term) on every cut on the album. Have heard it on all vinyl and CD releases and the better the system, the more annoying it is :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So GLAD to see your post! At first I thought I was CRAZY! The noise is so annoying! Just got a new REGA RP6 and it's hard to listen to the recording now :(

Glad to see someone else hears it :)

And welcome to the forum!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Lee, when it comes to Bill Evans, the answer as to which album to buy is: Yes.

His music is so good I wound up getting this 12 album set:

If you're interested, PM me your address and I'll take care of you.;)

That box set is my Bill Evans rec too. Great recordings/pressings.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
This is the album that introduced me to Bill Evans.
MONICA ZETTERLUND Waltz For Debby AL.jpg

It is still one of my top 10 albums.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
''Undercurrent'' duo with Jim Hall,that is one of my B.E. albums I keep coming back to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing