Best amp for a very small budget? (Under £50)

christiandransfield

Nov 12, 2019
Hi everyone,
move been tasked with buying an amp for my mum, for her TV and hifi in the living room. The only requirements are that it has a remote. Any ideas?
I would have gone for something like mine (Cambridge Audio A5), but it doesn’t come with a remote!
Cheers!

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I dont think that this is exactly the right forum to adress this question.

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Once a low budget guy asked here for a speaker recommendation, after a few posts it had reached Rockport Arrakis

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That probably confines you to a used mid-fi av receiver. If you are serious, I'll try to fin something. How mch is that in U.S. dollars?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's about $65 US Greg.

So this receiver is slightly over his budget ($90 US)
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...00-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

This one is under his budget but might be too limited? Comes with a remote control though ($30 US)
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blu...37344_1_7?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1573589284&sr=1-7

Anyway, just couple ideas this side of the Atlantic Ocean, because A4L doesn't ship overseas.
_____

* I'll add this only for the fun living life of it ...
Some hi-end fuses are more expensive than the Yamaha receiver above, and much more expensive than the mini stereo amp following it. But this is one direction for what the OP was asking for, another would be to check second-end audio stores, thrift stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. I'm sure he can find a receiver with a remote for less than $50 (even less than $20)...just make sure it's in good working operation.

What's Best? What makes us happy...whatever it costs $20 or $20 billion or anything between.

Last edited:

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Pioneer A400 if you can find one, not 100% sure on current rates. Convince her not to bother with the remote!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing