Metro DC
Best 32-40" Plasma Tv

Any votes for best 40-32-40" TV.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think 40" is the smallest size of Plasma available.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I think Gregadd is looking for a 40 foot set, not a 40" set. :D;)

Samsung still only has 720p sets in the 40" class. :( I chose a Panasonic for that reason when I bought mine in 2009. Many people say they can't tell a difference in the 40" class but I could notice it when comparing two sets side by side.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think Gregadd is looking for a 40 foot set, not a 40" set.

One day.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think Gregadd is looking for a 40 foot set, not a 40" set. :D;)

Samsung still only has 720p sets in the 40" class. :( I chose a Panasonic for that reason when I bought mine in 2009. Many people say they can't tell a difference in the 40" class but I could notice it when comparing two sets side by side.

When the 1080p sets came out I couldn't make out an obvious difference, but I can now. Don't know what's changed, and maybe it's just a case of becoming more familiar with both 720p and 1080p sets, but there is definitely a difference to be seen at that screen size.

The only less than 40" plasma I'm aware of is a 37" Panasonic some years back. Have never seen one since, so I think 40" is definitely the minimum. I like both Panasonic and Samsung for Plasma screens and I would be happy with either one. It would only come down to aesthetics really, as I think both sets are excellent.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a 42" Panasonic plasma from 2009 and I'm quite happy with it until last month when I bought a new HP laptop and tried to hook it via HDMI cable to it but it won't work. Later on, I found out that it's because the plasma's resolution is 1024x768 and the laptop's at 1366x768. Now, I'm dreaming of getting a new plasma with that high resolution. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Says who?

---- Google. :b ...True, Panasonic and Sharp are in the red financially about making HDTVs.
They've been talking about it for the last three years or so, but recently it's becoming a reality.
...Very true John, you can find more as fast as me on that.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Says who?
http://www.theverge.com/2011/10/31/2527194/panasonic-cuts-flat-panel-production-due-to-huge-losses

"Panasonic cuts flat-panel production due to huge losses

A frankly miserable second quarter has caused Panasonic to significantly scale back its flat-panel production, and instead begin sourcing components from other suppliers. Earlier rumors said that Panasonic would relocate its plasma screen facilities to Shanghai, but with a projected $5.4 billion in losses this year the company will cut production for all flat-panels by almost a half, closing both a plasma and an LCD factory in Japan. Panasonic has been regarded as one of the best manufacturers around ever since Pioneer stopped making plasma screens but this new turn leaves the company with just one manufacturing plant for the devices. Before, Panasonic used in-house panels for nearly 70 percent of its TVs, but the company's projecting fewer than one-third will use Panasonic panels in 2013.

Panasonic isn't the only ones struggling in the flat-panel world: Sharp has had a problematic year, and Sony's been suffering significant losses in the television market and has production problems in the wake of the Japanese earthquake. With 3D televisions failing to take off in the way that HD did, it doesn't look like any of these companies have an easy way out."

I don't think they will ever stop putting their name on TVs though. I have talked to all of the Japanese companies asking why they produce money losing products. The answer? It would be too shameful for them with such long history to ever stop. So while they will cut production, slap their name on someone else's product, etc, they will keep producing them.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
http://www.theverge.com/2011/10/31/2527194/panasonic-cuts-flat-panel-production-due-to-huge-losses

"Panasonic cuts flat-panel production due to huge losses

A frankly miserable second quarter has caused Panasonic to significantly scale back its flat-panel production, and instead begin sourcing components from other suppliers. Earlier rumors said that Panasonic would relocate its plasma screen facilities to Shanghai, but with a projected $5.4 billion in losses this year the company will cut production for all flat-panels by almost a half, closing both a plasma and an LCD factory in Japan. Panasonic has been regarded as one of the best manufacturers around ever since Pioneer stopped making plasma screens but this new turn leaves the company with just one manufacturing plant for the devices. Before, Panasonic used in-house panels for nearly 70 percent of its TVs, but the company's projecting fewer than one-third will use Panasonic panels in 2013.

Panasonic isn't the only ones struggling in the flat-panel world: Sharp has had a problematic year, and Sony's been suffering significant losses in the television market and has production problems in the wake of the Japanese earthquake. With 3D televisions failing to take off in the way that HD did, it doesn't look like any of these companies have an easy way out."

I don't think they will ever stop putting their name on TVs though. I have talked to all of the Japanese companies asking why they produce money losing products. The answer? It would be too shameful for them with such long history to ever stop. So while they will cut production, slap their name on someone else's product, etc, they will keep producing them.

Not quite the same as getting out of the game entirely.

Thanks Amir.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing