Benefits of Plant Sterol/Bencol

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Myles. In ran into Benecol when I was trying to research ways to reduce high cholesterol. As you know, these supplements use plant sterols as a way of reducing/absorbing cholestrol after a meal is consumed. I was surprised when I did my research that there was no negative reports about them. The manufacturer says countless reports have shown positive benefits. So for the last few months I have been taking their chewable caramels after the meal. They taste great and is a nice way to finish a meal anyway. I drink water afterward to guard against tooth cavity. But really, this sounds too good to be true. Can taking two candies a day reduce one's cholesterol and have positive cardiovascular/heart results?

I will take another blood test soon and see if it has helped although I have sharply increased my exercise levels so will be impossible to know if Benecol was the helpful factor or not.

Appreciate any insight you may have in this regard. Hoping you don't tell me I am wasting my money taking them :).

For those who don't know about this product, it is the equiv. of fish oil in animals in how it can bind with cholestrol (generated by liver?) and take it out of the body. It has been challenging to produce them until this company in Europe that was in the business of producing paper pulp from all things, figured out a way to mass produce it. It comes in spreads as a replacement for butter (which I really like but my wife hates) and the chewable mentioned above.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There are a few issues with these supplements such as red yeast rice (where statins come from) but the biggest is standardization eg how do you know you're getting the amount in each batch. A real problem in the supplement industry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing