Battleship on Blu-ray

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just watched Battleship on Blu-ray last night. I must confess, when I watched the trailers for when the movie first came out, I thought it would be another nonsense Michael Bay style Transformers movie. But we had time to kill at our vacation house and bought it on impulse at grocery store.

http://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Tw...1346602992&sr=8-1&keywords=battleship+blu+ray

We watched it in my in-construction theater which has a 12 foot wide image. I must say, this is one impressive movie from special effects point of view. ILM really breaks new ground here. For the first time, I could not detect the "seams" of special effects from real life. Except for one freeway scene where the cars looked a bit like models, all the rest of the effects from physics modelling and light, texture and grain was so good that I could not detect the transitions. And I am good at this, having worked in an industry where we produced equipment for special effects.

While there is no character development to speak of, relative the junk that passes in transformers, it is enough to carry the story to some extent. The cute girl (Sports Illustrated magazine model) for example can actually act a bit and is not over used. Director Pete Berg does a good job here making one be in awe of the power of the Navy. His father was a Navy historian and he was specifically picked for that appreciation.

The movie is non-stop action and we were entertained from start to end. Imagination is stretched a bit far at times (radio waves looking like light waves) but they don't last enough for one to give up on the movie.

I think if you are going to do a pure action movie devoid of great depth of story telling and acting, this should be the minimum bar.

The video quality can be excellent in some close up shots of faces where every pore is visible and such. There are a scenes or two where the focus is off (perils of high-def video making the obvious) but in general, there is enough eye candy to go around. The sound is very good as you can imagine.

There have been so many poorly done recent action movies that it is a breath of fresh air when one sees something watchable. So don't expect a masterpiece and set your standard at Transformers and you will like this movie :). It should be in your library of Blu-ray demo movies.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Agree, it is an enjoyable watch for sure. Something I could not say of the overblown cartoonish Avengers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Shane...how the Maxx 3's? ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing