BACCH-SP: The future of high-end audio? Yes.

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Ordered a BACCH4Mac Audiophile edition for my MacBook Air M2. I figure a laptop would be easier than using a MacMin which will require a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse to operate. Although not stated in the website, Edgar confirms this laptop is fine for the job.

From what I gather, we need the included RME Babyface Pro with mics only for calibration. Thereafter after the macbook can operate alone connecting directly to the DAC via USB and itself being an endpoint receiving data from a network player.

This means the BACCH is pretty much portable if one has a few hifi systems in play. Just need to calibrate once per system.

On the matter of the BACCH4Mac adding its own signature to the sound, surely the changes it is making to the music file is so great it will be almost unrecognisable after the BACCH filter process? Especially so with the room correction ORC filter too. The music file is totally changed (for the better), we are not talking about bit perfect incremental sonic changes like changing streamers, DACs, cables or connection types like USB or XDMI. Think minced meat from a steak difference! I expect it to be like moving from mono to stereo difference.

Edgar claims his filters are totally transparent and won't affect the sound character of the system one bit. But on his FAQ he states:

" Not only do BACCH filters purify the sound from crosstalk, but they also purify it from aberrations by the playback hardware in both the frequency and time domains. "

Aren't aberrations part of the flavour and character of the system? Once gone, the character of the old system will be substantially different - more real, accurate and room independent.

It's one of the reasons why I'm starting with the BACCH4Mac. The use of the BACCH-SP device might not make a difference for the same reasons. :-D

I think going BACCH, one has to be prepared for a totally new experience. To enjoy it fully, one has to accept the old school thoughts and worries might not be valid anymore. Old beloved equipment may not matter anymore. And this big jump is scary for most audiophiles like me. But exciting too, to live in an era where such technology is available to try.
I believe you should talk to Edgar before you finalize this purchase. I do not believe a Mac is a Mac in regards to this software. I bought the BACCH-SP adio first, and the BACCH4MAC setup second. (I wanted to be familiar with it) I bought the BACCH4MAC Audiophile+ version which came with the correctly configured Mac Mini, the RME BabyFace Pro which is required to hook up the microphones needed to use the software correctly. Also included was the webcam for head tracking, all necessary cables, all packed a nice Attaché case. I control the BACCH4MAC with my MacBook Pro.

Saying the BACCH4MAC setup uses a Mac Mini does not mean it can work on other MAC computers. It is possible it does, but I don't know personally. Ask Edgar. Trust his answers.

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Thanks for the heads up. I checked with Edgar before the purchase and it seems fine. Wanted the portability and fuss free all in one laptop rather than separate desktop components. Probably end up configuring it as a B4M plus Roon server or maybe play to it as a NAA endpoint or uPnP player from my Pink Faun streamer. Seems the output is USB and I can optionally clean it up the usual ways. I have experience with devices like SOtM’s txUSBUltra or Uptone’s IsoRegen.

Last edited:
Reactions: aangen

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Does the 3D imaging only affect the seating area from which the measurements were taken? Or can it be heard sitting elsewhere in the listening room?

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
My unit hasn’t arrived but I can answer that. I understand the 3D image is available at the sweet spot which can be pretty wide depending on how the head tracking camera scan was done. I’m told it can be as wide as a sofa but it’s intended to be only for a single listener. The sweet spot extends forward and backwards of the listener but less so sideways.

Outside of the sweet spot the sound is supposed to revert back into normal stereo.

Reactions: PYP

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Does the 3D imaging only affect the seating area from which the measurements were taken? Or can it be heard sitting elsewhere in the listening room?
Someone sitting directly behind the seat where the measurements were taken can hear at least 80% or possibly more. It isn't suffering. Left or right of the original position, not so much.

Reactions: PYP

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
In my conversation with Edgar, he was of the opinion that Ethernet is best way to connect to his devices. I explained my plan to use the Antipodes K41 with the device and he was quite supportive. He is of the opinion that the internal I2S connection is optimal due to clock synchronization.

I am going to test all the inputs with my Oladra but I fully expect the Ethernet direct out to be best performer. I am chomping at the bit to get this thing to start comparing to other DACs.

Reactions: Rumpole

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Has anyone heard or compared the U Bacch VST plug in (I use it inside Jriver) to the other Bacch hardware or Mac based solutions ? With the test tones I’m not getting imaging outside one of my speakers, despite them being far from any boundaries. Mine are coincident drivers - TAD CR1, which are phase accurate, so I was hoping to get more dimensional information from the plug in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing