Avantgarde Horn Speakers

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I think you should contact Avantgarde. Maybe they can walk you through the setup to make sure it is not something easy or you may need a new amp for the bass unit.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Avantgarde are very good at diagnosing problems and offering simple fixes.

My old Unos developed a couple of small problems. On powering up, both bass units developed a substantial thump and one bass unit developed an occasional slight scratching noise on some tracks. Both problems were diagnosed by AG via their UK distribut or. I received photos of the amp board showing where I should add a small resistor and how to re-adjust the trim pots. There small very low costs fixes did the job and my speakers were returned to as-new performance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well at least while you work on getting it fixed...you have discovered how to create 'even sound' in your room to enjoy. Best wishes with Avantgarde and any repairs...perhaps there is something you can do with them on the phone to fix.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I should be celebrating 20yrs anniversary of my Duos today however building work has meant my system has been down for almost 4 months.

But still, 20yrs with the same speaker deserves raising a glass and a big thank you to Graham Tricker for wowing me with his Trios at Heathrow Show.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, I'm 14 years w the Zus. You may be ahead of me, but I'm younger than you...

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
22 years with the Trios...
Quantum leaped with the addition of the pair of REL212SE's 3 years ago.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Barry, I'm 14 years w the Zus. You may be ahead of me, but I'm younger than you...

14 years with Zus and defending them might have aged you more than him

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, he's way better looking than me, that's for sure. Must be that Zu-inspired furrowed brow that I wear.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I should be celebrating 20yrs anniversary of my Duos today however building work has meant my system has been down for almost 4 months.

But still, 20yrs with the same speaker deserves raising a glass and a big thank you to Graham Tricker for wowing me with his Trios at Heathrow Show.
I must have bought my Unos at almost exactly the time you bought your Duos. I kept them for 17 years and sold them for exactly what they cost me new, but have since upgraded to used (2006 vintage) Duos and more recently to new Duo XDs.

You may even have seen and heard my Unos at a Heathrow Show as I took them there to provide speakers for Tom Willis's Art Audio valve amplifiers. Holger Fromme kindly visited Tom's room to help set up my speakers and several visitors commented that my smaller Unos with Tom's valve kit sounded better than the AG room with speakers too big for the room and powered by AG's solid state amps! Peter.

Reactions: marslo

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I bought my Duos in 2002. They were already a few years old. Not too many, since they came with the newer (225?) bass systems. Still running great. Over the next half dozen years I bought three Solos (again all used), single channel with built in amp, so that I have a complete Avantgarde 5.0 system for my multichannel albums.

I saw an Avantgarde display at the Frankfurt airport a decade or more ago - IIRC it had a Duo on display.

Larry

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I bought my Duos in 2002. They were already a few years old. Not too many, since they came with the newer (225?) bass systems. Still running great. Over the next half dozen years I bought three Solos (again all used), single channel with built in amp, so that I have a complete Avantgarde 5.0 system for my multichannel albums.

I saw an Avantgarde display at the Frankfurt airport a decade or more ago - IIRC it had a Duo on display.

Larry
Your Duos have the 225 subs so 10" drives, as my Unos had. If they were built pre-2002, the bass drivers may have foam surrounds. If yours have foam and these have not been replaced, you may get a big improvement in SQ by getting the surrounds replaced. I was pleased that my Unos had rubber roll surrounds

Reactions: astrotoy

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Basic speaker balance question - why if all settings on a pair Duo XDs are equal, and the room is reasonably symmetrical, would one speaker channel measure consistently with a basic meter , at 10 db quieter than the other channel?

Background - I've been nagged by a 'somethings not quite right' feeling with regard to my new Duos since they arrived a month or two ago. Basically through various sources I got the feeling that the overall balance and weight of sound was off centre and dragged to the left. So I plugged in a couple of different preamps just to check that that it wasn't something faulty with the inputs or attenuation etc.

I've also used a couple of different power amps, including a pair of monoblocks which I've swapped over between channels to make sure to eliminate them as the cause.

Today I've had a bit more time so using the same channel input and swapping it over from one channel on the preamp to another, I measured the sound levels coming from each speaker one at a time, using the same musical input. Consistently getting a reading 10db lower on the right hand speaker.

So I plugged in my laptop to each Duo and checked that the preset, bass volume and EQ page settings were all identical for both speakers which they were.

Am I missing something? Where do I go next?
Swap the speakers left and right. If the right is now +10dB vs the left it’s the speakers. If the left remains at +10dB it’s the room or system. Then swap the speaker cables. If the +10db moves with the cables, it’s the system. If the 10dB imbalance hasn’t moved, its the room

Reactions: dbeau

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing