Audiogon phishing email

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I just received this email supposedly from Audiogon (originator - Audi@gon.com):

Dear Member,
We have the pleasure to inform you that we have finished and inaugurated the new AudiogoN website, which improves the user experience and offers many new features designed for our community.
The final step of this update is to deactivate those users which doesn't visit our community for more than one year, in order to increase the website speed and also being able to offer a better user experience.
If you wish to keep your account active please confirm it by clicking on the link below and log into your account. If confirmation is not made within the next 5 days your account will be automatically deleted.

Confirm Your Account[Links to http://www.jiahong.com.hk/.AgoN/con...rWmmRwuTtmIlG8qi2FzQDcU7V5PptijkX2BmH9EW.php] until 18th November 2012 or it will be automatically deactivated.
Thanks,
Team AudiogoN

Click on the link, and it takes you to a legit looking website ... but ... it is not hosted by Audiogon. It is hosted by jiahong.com.hk.

I did not enter my details otherwise they will commandeer my account. I suggest everyone else stays vigilant.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Check out the grammar. Many of these kinds of sites originate where, apparently, English is not the primary language:

Sadly, there are far too many people born in the U.S. (and some with advanced degrees) that can't write and can't spell past the 4th grade level. My 4th grade teacher (Sister Tiger Claire) would have beaten the snot out of tons of people I work with if they would have turned papers into her for review.

ths61

Oct 18, 2012
USA
You should report these emails to Audiogon Support <support@audiogon.com> and they will go after the website.

I have received 2 or 3 such emails since they have changed their website.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I just received this email supposedly from Audiogon (originator - Audi@gon.com):

Click on the link, and it takes you to a legit looking website ... but ... it is not hosted by Audiogon. It is hosted by jiahong.com.hk.

I did not enter my details otherwise they will commandeer my account. I suggest everyone else stays vigilant.

Damm Keith. I knew I should have used spell check and grammer check :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Check out the grammar. Many of these kinds of sites originate where, apparently, English is not the primary language:

Yes, some of them seem to have been translated using the Google translator. Sometimes they even have a funny style.

TJE

Nov 12, 2012
My 4th grade teacher (Sister Tiger Claire) would have beaten the snot out of tons of people I work with if they would have turned papers into her for review.

Yes! I am just old enough to have learned how to diagram a sentence when in the 4th grade. Using language this precisely is a lost art.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes! I am just old enough to have learned how to diagram a sentence when in the 4th grade. Using language this precisely is a lost art.

You and me both bro.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
What I would like to know is - how they managed to get hold of my email. Does this mean that Audiogon's servers were compromised, and they managed to get a list of the members emails ... or, did Audiogon sell the list to a third party?

Any other A'gon members get the phishing email? Steve?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What I would like to know is - how they managed to get hold of my email. Does this mean that Audiogon's servers were compromised, and they managed to get a list of the members emails ... or, did Audiogon sell the list to a third party?

Any other A'gon members get the phishing email? Steve?
Keith, i would contact the real A-gon immediately, they give you options for your message, chose 'fraud' they will respond to that quickly, and aside from alerting them to this, ask them how the scammers got your email address. It will be interesting to see what their response is.
I could ask a guy I know who knows all the tricks and PM you if you like.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
whart, I did send them an email. No reply from them so far.

(edit) I have sent it again.

Unfortunately they are the only game in town . Unfortunately, if you deal with them, you're going to get burned. Shocking Keith

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Reply from A'gon:

Stock denial. Reminds me of the old stock reply, "oh sir, you are the only person having that problem." Then when I contacted my colleagues, I found out they were all experiencing the same issue!

Inquiring minds want to know that if their [Audiogon's] systems wasn't hacked, how the hell did they get your name/address?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing