Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
But this is not [anecdotal]:

The above is the performance of my 15 year old Mark Levinson No360S DAC being drive from my everyday laptop's USB connection through the Berkeley Alpha USB Adapter.

This is superlative performance by every measure.

I looked through the recent reviews of transports on stereophile web site and here is the $13,000 ARC reference CD9 transport and DAC on the same jitter test as above:

And the $43,000 MSB Platinum Data CD IV transport & Diamond DAC IV & D/A converter combo:

Again, my test was with an obsolete DAC that even new was about $7K.

As I said, the ending of the story is already written. Just takes a while for all the players to read that chapter :).

I still have No's 36, 27.5, 380S 0n reserve...my 1990's-2009 stereo. I loved Madrigal.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

The above is the performance of my 15 year old Mark Levinson No360S DAC being drive from my everyday laptop's USB connection through the Berkeley Alpha USB Adapter.

I looked through the recent reviews of transports on stereophile web site and here is the $13,000 ARC reference CD9 transport and DAC on the same jitter test as above:

And the $43,000 MSB Platinum Data CD IV transport & Diamond DAC IV & D/A converter combo:

As I said, the ending of the story is already written. Just takes a while for all the players to read that chapter :).

By "everyday laptop" you mean off the shelf, not customized, and by USB, you mean USB, right? :)

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, how would you say your current PS audio PW transport and PW DAC compare to the older ML gear you mention. I would have thought the ML gear would give the PS audio more than a run for the money.

esldude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0yXqU-w9U0

He is dead Jim...........

Or one of the clips, "he is worse than dead Jim.......his brain is gone!" Which seems to describe many audiophiles. Worse than dead.

Transports may not be exactly dead, but please refresh my memory.....what are the benefits or technical areas where they excel vs playback from a hard drive??????

Or to paraphrase a movie:

Wat: What do you mean, dead?

Roland: The spark of his life is smothered in shite. His spirit is gone but his stench remains. Does that answer your question?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0yXqU-w9U0

He is dead Jim...........

Or one of the clips, "he is worse than dead Jim.......his brain is gone!" Which seems to describe many audiophiles. Worse than dead.

Transports may not be exactly dead, but please refresh my memory.....what are the benefits or technical areas where they excel vs playback from a hard drive??????

None, in principle. But I have tried to provide a more differentiated viewpoint in post # 100 on the previous page.

It seems odd that in general the tone of the 'anti-transporters' in this thread is so much more heated.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Many current stand-alone disc players have USB inputs for their DACs. How does a server/laptop input that way compare to the sound of a disc (the same one) played on the disc player?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Many current stand-alone disc players have USB inputs for their DACs. How does a server/laptop input that way compare to the sound of a disc (the same one) played on the disc player?

Don't know about this specifically but can tell you that when switching on the fly between tracks synced on the spinning CD on and a Squeezebox feeding the dig input of my old Cary 200 CDP (great player btw), the difference was imperceptible to everybody who listened, and did this with a lot of people. Was very easy w/a remote click to A/B.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

USB inputs vary greatly in quality. Great player (or a DAC) with crappy USB input inplementation will still sound like a crap.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

amirm,

Did you use the Berkeley Alpha USB Adapter's Spdif or AES output for your test?

Here's Stereophile's jitter tests of the $7K Aesthetix Romulus CDP/DAC(tube output stage), first 16 bit data from its internal CD drive and the second 24-bit data via USB from MacBook Pro:

1013AeRofig12.jpg
1013AeRofig13.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
USB inputs vary greatly in quality. Great player (or a DAC) with crappy USB input inplementation will still sound like a crap.
Weeelll, yeah, but I think ARC, Playback Designs, Esoteric, etc. are taking the same care with their USB inputs as with the rest of their product...

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
The fact that amirm is using a Berkeley Audio Design converter is probably largely explaining his very good measurement. On this link you find an interesting comparison between converters that also reduce jitter; http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...onic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

Alternatively you can just use another USB cable like this one from Totaldac: http://www.totaldac.com/USB_cable-eng.htm which is reported to produce much better results than a regular USB cable. (btw, check out the same spectrum diagrams of the Dual DAC and Mono DAC of the same make, they have noise levels at -150 and -160dB respectively!! although I am not sure if I am comparing fruit with fruit here...:confused: )

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Weeelll, yeah, but I think ARC, Playback Designs, Esoteric, etc. are taking the same care with their USB inputs as with the rest of their product...

I'm sure they do. The problem is, that not all of them have enough PC audio expertise to design a very good USB input. They are all at the begining of the learning curve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing