Apple's iPhone 5 Maps app criticisms continue -- but users don't mind too much

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Jonny Evans

Apple [AAPL] iOS 6 Maps app may be this season’s biggest iPhone 5 criticism as competitors jump around to point out its shortcomings, but iPhone users aren’t particularly alarmed -- they’re a little bothered, but the change hasn’t reduced product satisfaction ratings too much.

Just a little disappointed

That’s one way of looking at the news inside the latest user satisfaction results from research firm, On Device, which reveals that users are ever so slightly less satisfied with iOS 6 than they found them to be when using iOS 5.

The company polled c.16,000 iPhone owners in the US and determined a satisfaction rating of 7.65 for iOS 6, a slight dip from the 7.75 it saw when assessing satisfaction with iOS 5. For reference, iOS 4 scored a 6.93-point rating, TechCrunch reports.

While this isn’t a huge dip in user satisfaction, it’s noteworthy because it’s a dip -- in most cases the survey firm sees increased device satisfaction as new operating systems are released, which makes the dip a little significant.

The decline is likely to reflect consumer disappointment with Apple’s Maps app, but the impact, at least on US users, seems pretty small when seen in context.

The dip may also end up becoming little more than a blip, as Apple is scrambling to make its mapping service more effective, recruiting staff and applying user-submitted changes to its server-based service. (And Apple also created a special version of Maps for China).

Talking the talk

Competitors are seizing upon the ‘Map-gate’ affair as a chink in Apple’s smartphone armor, but they may be better put improving their own offerings: the iPhone is far and away the consumer’s favorite device.

This does nothing to stop Google executive chairman, former Apple board member, Eric Schmidt, from criticizing the decision, telling Reuters: "We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know? What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call."

Schmidt also noted that Google hasn’t yet submitted a self-made Google Maps app to the App Store, with the New York Times adding that the company hopes to have it developed by the end of the year.

Apple’s decision to replace Google Maps on iOS was no surprise to any company watcher, but seemed a little surprising to Schmidt’s firm.

The Verge reports that Apple had another year to run on its Google Maps contract before it dumped the firm. Google hadn’t expected this which is why it doesn’t have a Maps app of its own to counter with, apparently.

“Google’s contract with Apple to keep the maps app on the iPhone had more time remaining, and Google did not know that Apple had changed its mind until Apple said publicly in June that it would replace the app with its new maps app, according to two people briefed on the decision,” claims The New York Times.

The Verge also reveals that the search giant wanted more prominent Google branding on iOS Maps -- something which was never going to happen given the combative relationship between the firms.

Is Apple at risk?

Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak, doesn’t see the problems as too severe, but has had some problems himself: “I tried to navigate somewhere, and I couldn’t get to where I wanted to by voice... I don’t know yet about Maps -- I’m a little worried about the navigation, but I’ve still got it covered with a bunch of other navigation apps.”

There’s numerous alternative navigation and maps options available to users, and it’s also possible to use Google Maps in Safari. If you really miss them on your device -- and the evidence so far suggests most users aren’t truly bothered -- then there’s a series of simple steps to bring them back right here.

Apple’s aware of the criticisms its Maps app is breeding. In a statement provided to All Things D today, an Apple representative said: "We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get.”

That’s fine, but that slight decline in user satisfaction levels for iOS 6 could soon become a flood: the pressure is certainly on Apple to improve its mapping services swiftly, or risk damaging its special relationship with iPhone users.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Perception is a b*tch...
Before I could warn my wife (and the rest of the family, who all own iPhones) not to upgrade to 6.0, they went ahead and did it. After all, it's so easy do to, despite what some folks here say...
Anyway, when she told me she upgraded, I immediately warned her about the new maps, that it's not Google Maps anymore, etc... Her response? "Yes, I noticed. It's much, much better now, much prettier!"
Go figure...
As usual with most things Apple related, the press makes a scandal out of something that ends up being nearly irrelevant to the majority of end users...

alexandre

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I saw that on CNET this morning. Well done and the right thing to do.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Contrary to the title of the thread I believe, users do mind. The criticisms had to be loud enough for the CEO to offer an apology down to recommending other services.!!! .

It is a clear indication that the level of discontent is rising and that they, Apple, are paying attention to it ..

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
So what's wrong with the maps?

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So what's wrong with the maps?

Tim
Not much other than sending you to the wrong place, and stuff like this:

:D

I think this is a historic event. The masses finally, for the first time, accepted that Apple can put out less than perfect product. Apple had done that before. But folks would not take it in. This one has had such broad distribution, including major broadcast news, that it finally stuck, causing them to take the PR action to apologize. In the past, such mistakes were only in the technical rags and web sites. This one went mainstream. And folks figured out such things make for juicy reporting without backlash so expect it to repeat in the future.

I have to believe it slowed down the sales somewhat relative to what it would have been without it. Apple will still be fine and do great of course. But there is a nick in the armor.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57522042-92/iphone-5-honeymoon-over-already/

"iPhone 5 honeymoon over already?
week in review Owners of the new smartphone find a litany of fault with the new device, while Apple grapples with map miscues. Also: CNET goes to Foxconn.
"

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
For sure Steve Jobs would not have said something like this. Remember their response to the faulty antenna on the iPhone 4? "You are holding it wrong". In other words, their philosophy till now has been - "the device is perfect. It is you who is at fault". If Tim Cook wanted to be more like Steve Jobs, he should have said ... "Apple maps is perfect. It is the world that has to change".

Oh yes, and there's this :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing