Anyone recognise this custom Audio Note M5 preamp as being fomerly theirs?

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Hi there - I am currently listening to a second hand Audio Note M5 IR Remote preamp and am considering biuying it. It is purportedly an M5 built into the M2 chassis in order to facilitate IR remote. I have found a record of the original owner trying to sell it on Hifi Wigwam earlier this year but cannot contact them via that site.

The amp appears to have had the following work done on it and I am hoping to corrobroate this and establish where the amp sits in the AN heirarchy (so that I can justify the price for a second hand amp!):

The power supply board was upgraded to latest M6 version with wooden sandwich board instead of plastic. The original line board was marked M3 but it was upgraded to M6 standard. It was completely re-tubed. A new choke was also fitted to the power supply.

The listing I saw on Wigwam seems to suggest that the unit is 17 years old and the info from the retailer suggests this work was done in February this year.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi there - I am currently listening to a second hand Audio Note M5 IR Remote preamp and am considering biuying it. It is purportedly an M5 built into the M2 chassis in order to facilitate IR remote. I have found a record of the original owner trying to sell it on Hifi Wigwam earlier this year but cannot contact them via that site.

The amp appears to have had the following work done on it and I am hoping to corrobroate this and establish where the amp sits in the AN heirarchy (so that I can justify the price for a second hand amp!):

The power supply board was upgraded to latest M6 version with wooden sandwich board instead of plastic. The original line board was marked M3 but it was upgraded to M6 standard. It was completely re-tubed. A new choke was also fitted to the power supply.

The listing I saw on Wigwam seems to suggest that the unit is 17 years old and the info from the retailer suggests this work was done in February this year.

Any other comments would be appreciated.
I remember this preamp and it sounds very good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing