Anyone have an informed opinion on German Physiks 'omni'directional full-range speakers?

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
I'm seriously considering a pair of GP's Borderland IVs in satin Walnut Cluster and with outboard crossover.. I expect to biamp them with my fabulous-sounding, substantially improved 140-into-4 Atma-Sphere MA-1s on MR/treble and my PS Audio M700s on the bass.. I've read many reviews of them but I'd like others' opinions.

One little problem is that the only dealer in the US is in NJ, and that's a 2-LONG-days RT from Phoenix for a few hours of listening.

Hmm...anyone closer to me than NJ have a pair I could listen to?

Brando

Apr 15, 2022
I'm seriously considering a pair of GP's Borderland IVs in satin Walnut Cluster and with outboard crossover.. I expect to biamp them with my fabulous-sounding, substantially improved 140-into-4 Atma-Sphere MA-1s on MR/treble and my PS Audio M700s on the bass.. I've read many reviews of them but I'd like others' opinions.

One little problem is that the only dealer in the US is in NJ, and that's a 2-LONG-days RT from Phoenix for a few hours of listening.

What did you end up purchasing? I’m thinking of the same purchase but some time away before pulling the trigger

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I hadn't noticed this thread until today. I have very limited experience of German Physics - and for that matter MBL.

My room lends itself to omnis as the speakers are placed mid-room, either side of a structural column in a 945 sq ft semi-circular room. My dining and kitchen areas are behind the speakers but the main listening area is in front of course.

I visited 2 dealers that had these 2 brands on demo and spent a couple of hours listening to each system. My problem is that I regard very highly (perhaps too highly) the imaging abilities of my speakers. I'd been using horns since 2002, but since moving here, I first tried electrostatics as a possible alternative to my horns. Quad sounded surprisingly good, but the Martin Logans were very disappointing. So my next, and more logical thoughts were towards omnis.

Although I never got to the stage of organising home demos of either brand, it was pretty obvious from the dealer showroom demos that the imaging offered by both systems was not a patch on the horns - provided you are sitting in the horns’ small sweet spot.

I've concluded that I'll stick with the horns, although of course the sound when I'm behind the speakers is seriously compromised. However the benefit of the exceptional imaging they offer when I'm comfortably sitting in my listening chair is something I value enough to accept the poor sound from behind the speakers.

If you value imaging a little less that I do, then omnis may be an ideal choice if you are likely to be listening from in front, beside, or behind your speakers, If that's not the case, I see no real advantage of omnis over horns or electrostatics.

I'd still considering a hybrid / mongrel system whereby I add a pair of German Physics PQS-100 units close to my Avantgarde Duo XDs, arranged in such a way that I can choose to use either the horns or the PQS units for middle and top, but either way using the AG's bass units for the lower frequency range. Tricky project in view of the hugely different sensitivity of horns vs the GP units, so still just a possible project.

Jul 20, 2021
UK
What did you end up purchasing? I’m thinking of the same purchase but some time away before pulling the trigger
I hadn't noticed this thread until today. I have very limited experience of German Physics - and for that matter MBL.

My room lends itself to omnis as the speakers are placed mid-room, either side of a structural column in a 945 sq ft semi-circular room. My dining and kitchen areas are behind the speakers but the main listening area is in front of course.

I visited 2 dealers that had these 2 brands on demo and spent a couple of hours listening to each system. My problem is that I regard very highly (perhaps too highly) the imaging abilities of my speakers. I'd been using horns since 2002, but since moving here, I first tried electrostatics as a possible alternative to my horns. Quad sounded surprisingly good, but the Martin Logans were very disappointing. So my next, and more logical thoughts were towards omnis.

Although I never got to the stage of organising home demos of either brand, it was pretty obvious from the dealer showroom demos that the imaging offered by both systems was not a patch on the horns - provided you are sitting in the horns’ small sweet spot.

I've concluded that I'll stick with the horns, although of course the sound when I'm behind the speakers is seriously compromised. However the benefit of the exceptional imaging they offer when I'm comfortably sitting in my listening chair is something I value enough to accept the poor sound from behind the speakers.

If you value imaging a little less that I do, then omnis may be an ideal choice if you are likely to be listening from in front, beside, or behind your speakers, If that's not the case, I see no real advantage of omnis over horns or electrostatics.

I'd still considering a hybrid / mongrel system whereby I add a pair of German Physics PQS-100 units close to my Avantgarde Duo XDs, arranged in such a way that I can choose to use either the horns or the PQS units for middle and top, but either way using the AG's bass units for the lower frequency range. Tricky project in view of the hugely different sensitivity of horns vs the GP units, so still just a possible project.

Jul 20, 2021
UK

Hello,

There is a new German Physiks distributor called Locrian Audio, located in Dallas, TX. They have the German Physiks HRS-130, Borderland Mk IV and PQS-302 loudspeakers in their showroom. The owner, Basile Theodoropoulos, is out of the country until the end of the month, but he should reply if you email him. Contact details are below:

Company: Lorrain Audio LLC
Tel: (469) 438 1761
Email: info@locrian-audio.com
Web: https://locrian-audio.com.

Robert Kelly
German Physiks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing