Any experience with Vandersteen Kento Carbons? I'm considering going back...

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
...to V'steen speakers.. This newish Kento, with all-three front-panel drivers being current, premium carbon designs, plus the two side-firing 9" powered woofers/subwoofers fascinates me.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Ordered a pair from Stereo Unlimited (SU) in San Diego, CA, yesterday the 23rd. Finished in rosewood, they'll take a couple months to get here. SU will deliver them, get them running, and tune them to the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: picears

picears

Feb 4, 2022
Stereo Unlimited
I've not been to Stereo Unlimited it at least 25 years. When checking San Diego county retailers recently I noticed they were still in business, the only high-end business that has hung around since the old days. From their website it seems they've ended up with all the legacy brands, for this market, that in the old days were carried by the competitors (now gone.)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Congrats on the Kento purchase. Bruce & Ray at Stereo Unlimited are good guys, I've been a customer since the mid '80s.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The Kentos are great. A big step up from the 5As.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Congrats on the Kento purchase. Bruce & Ray at Stereo Unlimited are good guys, I've been a customer since the mid '80s.
The Kentos are great. A big step up from the 5As.
Well, first, I didn't buy them, or more correctly, I bought them Friday and cancelled that order Sunday. They excelled at resolution, nasality (if that's such a word), and bass definition and extention--those double-9s go WAY down and sound excellent. But...but...but over the weekend I decided I needed much more time to evaluate them since they sounded significantly different than any of my recent systems. I did order a pair of Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monoamps and decided to concentrate on my PSA FR20s and HHR Exotics Walsh-type TLS-2s. I also ordered my second* top-of-the-line Marantz AV10 pre/pro and will be trying the Audyssey equalization on either speaker.

* It's a long story.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing