Antileon Evo paired with Tube linestage ?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I'm using the Mephisto with the Pandora, about a year now. No complaints. Before I got the Pandora I used the Zena on a temporary basis while waiting on the Pandora. The Pandora/Mephisto were made for each other. Adding the Lampizator Horizon elevated "things" even further. I would be lying if I said the Apex/Commander didn't tweak my interest...

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
Well the Essence pre and the Zena are the same with cosmetic differences. I really like Pandora. I listened for several hours going back and forth with Commander. I was surprised how well the Pandora showed.

I really shouldn't listen to the Commander and Apex, it'll only start the inevitable process of justifying the upgrade! Right now though, I'm more than happy with what I have. Although I've not listened to Antileon I do think that the Essence/Zena pre and power is a bit of a sweet spot in terms of quality and VFM in the Gryphon lineup. I'd love to hear the new Diablo333 and see how it compares.

In a sort of answer to the OPs question, I imagine that the Antileon with a tube pre would sound fantastic! Go for it! Hopefully someone with some experience of this combo will pitch in.

Reactions: John T

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
Adding the Lampizator Horizon elevated "things" even further.

Sorry to continue to derail your thread Thieliste.

Wow, just looked the Horizon up on Google - fantastic looking thing! Really like the aesthetic of Lampizator, and their products get stellar reviews too! You must be pleased with it. I was tempted by their VP4 Phono stage, still am to be honest.

Reactions: christoph

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Sorry to continue to derail your thread Thieliste.

Wow, just looked the Horizon up on Google - fantastic looking thing! Really like the aesthetic of Lampizator, and their products get stellar reviews too! You must be pleased with it. I was tempted by their VP4 Phono stage, still am to be honest.
The reason I mention the Horizon is: @Thieliste was asking about Tube line stage. I've never used a tube line stage but the addition of a Tube DAC creates a Hybrid approach. From what I have gathered and I have never heard the Antileon. The Antileon may present a warmer profile, more tube like. Where the Mephisto is more neutral. Dave Wilson said you need a tube somewhere in your system. A lot has to do with what "kind of sound" you like. When building a system I'm looking to achieve balance, not too much of any nuance. But as I indicated everyone is different, what floats my boat may not float yours. Bottom line hard to wrong with Gryphon amplification, how you structure the rest depends on your ears and what you like...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I pair my Antileon EVO directly to my Lampizator Horizon. It is a wonderful pairing.
I know several people who prefer this. I have had some excellent DACS in my life with volume control. I always have preferred a pre. Direct for me sounds great at first and you think WOW I've been missing out. After awhile it gets to be too much of everything. For me the pre adds a refinement that direct doesn't. But that's just me and my preference. The only thing that matters in this game is what sounds best to you...

Reactions: ozy and Pokey77

wokeuptobose

VIP/Donor
Mar 26, 2021
Up to the Horizon I had the exact same experience. I menatlly justified buying the Vivaldi Stack as I could sell my ARC REF 10 LS preamp as the pundits were saying that the Vivaldi DAC was finally "there" for the direct approach. Well I sold the ARC 10, but I could not live with the direct approach. It was like an early silver IC. Sounds revealing at first, then the ear fatigue. I ended up buying a Modwright LS 300 tube pre and was happy. The Horizon has a volume control that acts very similarly to the REF 10 which I thought had a great volume control.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I'm using the Mephisto with the Pandora, about a year now. No complaints. Before I got the Pandora I used the Zena on a temporary basis while waiting on the Pandora. The Pandora/Mephisto were made for each other. Adding the Lampizator Horizon elevated "things" even further. I would be lying if I said the Apex/Commander didn't tweak my interest...
Do you happen to remember what the main differences in sound quality between the Zena and Pandora were?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Do you happen to remember what the main differences in sound quality between the Zena and Pandora were?
The Pandora took better control. It was quieter and had a bigger impact with the Mephisto. The Pandora has been around long time but still pairs well with the Mephisto. I've talked with Rune at Gryphon many times. He always said the Pandora Belongs with the Mephisto...

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Pandora took better control. It was quieter and had a bigger impact with the Mephisto. The Pandora has been around long time but still pairs well with the Mephisto. I've talked with Rune at Gryphon many times. He always said the Pandora Belongs with the Mephisto...
Interesting...to see how designers focus on matching pre/amp as one. So that even a new reference level higher preamp is not necessarily the recommended pairing with the original reference amp.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
The Pandora has a more organic presentation than the Zena. Having spent 9 hours going back and forth between Pandora and Commander I can say that the Pandora comes very close for a whole lot less money. Used Pandoras show up on Audiogon for around 20k and can’t be beat for that kind of money. They mach well with the Mephistos drier presentation. The leaner Zena works well with the richer Evo in my opinion. (These are all just my opinions. Ymmv)

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The Pandora has a more organic presentation than the Zena. Having spent 9 hours going back and forth between Pandora and Commander I can say that the Pandora comes very close for a whole lot less money. Used Pandoras show up on Audiogon for around 20k and can’t be beat for that kind of money. They mach well with the Mephistos drier presentation. The leaner Zena works well with the richer Evo in my opinion. (These are all just my opinions. Ymmv)
Well Said. Very interesting your observation in regards to the Commander/Pandora. Was it the Apex or Mephisto that was paired with the Commander in your demo??

John T

Feb 15, 2022
It was Mephisto solos. Next month I'll listen to Commander with Apex solos. That should be killer.
Let us know what you think. I'll be very curious to hear your observations. Mostly the difference between the two. Solos/Pandora...Apex Monos/Commander. Your right, should be KILLER!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Let us know what you think. I'll be very curious to hear your observations. Mostly the difference between the two. Solos/Pandora...Apex Monos/Commander. Your right, should be KILLER!
Yes, most interested! I have owned the evolution of Antileon (original) to Colosseum to Mephisto Stereo so have some history of how the voice has remained incredibly stable while also continuing to advance in a continuous line upwards. Detail, low noise, extension (at both ends but primarily upwards into treble which became much more filigreed and illuminated with the Colosseum).

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for all your opinions.I currently have a Mirage preamp which is the precursor to the Pandora.This has been a wonderful preamp comfortably better in my system than (chronologically) Hovland HP 100, Audio Research LS 27, Pass XP 20, Ayre KX-R (not the current 20).The Mirage is paired with the Antileon EVO into Pantheon speakers.
Tossing up between Pandora, Commander and VTL 7.5 series 3.
Hence my interest in the possibility of a Pandora replacement.

modwright

Industry Expert
Nov 2, 2017
WA ST
www.modwright.com
Up to the Horizon I had the exact same experience. I menatlly justified buying the Vivaldi Stack as I could sell my ARC REF 10 LS preamp as the pundits were saying that the Vivaldi DAC was finally "there" for the direct approach. Well I sold the ARC 10, but I could not live with the direct approach. It was like an early silver IC. Sounds revealing at first, then the ear fatigue. I ended up buying a Modwright LS 300 tube pre and was happy. The Horizon has a volume control that acts very similarly to the REF 10 which I thought had a great volume control.
I am very pleased to hear that you are enjoying the LS 300. It is our Reference Preamp and I feel that its tonal balanced and resolution are right! The LS 99 is the little brother to the LS 300 and is very close sonically, except for not being dual-mono and is built in a more compact enclosure and $4500 less.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing