Another Canuck snuck in

slumpmuffin

Jan 17, 2014
North, eh?
Hello WBF,

I'm a long-time crate digger with a slight gear bent, err I'm more of a record guy than a gear guy. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm out for beers with my fellow audiophiles and they start throwing around model number shorthand. I'm often sitting there with a blank look suffering through a fifteen second mental image lag or frantically rubbing the screen of my phone trying to find said image online.

Ten years ago, I was sure I'd ride out my circa '77-'79 dream system for the rest of my days. It was to be a lifetime of replacing worn phono carts and building shelves for LPs with some possible home foundation reinforcements. Then the cats at the pub started upgrading their tables and my room started sounding crummy in comparison. Some friends, eh? So rather than lose my joie de vivre, I went along for the ride.

The MasterSounds, Lebens, and Allnics followed and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This music was alive and I'm pretty sure it was happening in the room, in real time. Granted the players would disappear when I opened my eyes but man, it was spooky! I had never heard recorded music sound like this and while I was prone to occasional HiFi shop slumming, I always left disillusioned. Turns out I was in the wrong place with the wrong tour guide. I have since eaten a lot of crow and maybe a couple hats.

While financial considerations may slow the filling in of those last few nuances that separate my HiFi from a machine capable of traversing all time and space, I find that my system is quite capable at stripping away any ills a taxing workday can pile on me. Not bad as far as vices go.

Cheers,
Kevin

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
welcome, and you're not alone there are a few crate diggers here but ive been known to that take the easy way out :rolleyes: (acoustics sounds, elusive disc, et al). I'm looking forward to your contributions on vinyl collecting, favorite recordings, etc.

slumpmuffin

Jan 17, 2014
North, eh?
My license plate says Beautiful British Columbia and I tend to agree most days.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Welcome, Kevin.

Never heard the term "crate digger" before. So, I've learned someting from you already.

British Columbia is beautiful. Was up there a few years ago and flew on a sea plane between Vancouver and Victoria - quite an expereience.

slumpmuffin

Jan 17, 2014
North, eh?
They started as LaScalas. Now they have bass reflex bins to fill in the bottom end, ALK crossovers, Crites tweaters, Fastrac squakers, better "lamp chord" and a fresh finish. The woofer is original for the time being.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing