An intimate afternoon of culture!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I spent yesterday afternoon at the home of Dr. Ed Pong, owner of Ultra Analog Recordings, for an intimate few hours of live classical music. There were approximately 75-80 people present (at least by my quick head count) for this event, and it took place in the Pool area. It is here where UAR records for their tape releases. The space is 40' x 50' with a vaulted ceiling, which measures 22' high at the front and sloping down to 13' at the rear. The ceiling is cedar-lined and there are no acoustic treatments. The pool itself is filled, and luckily we all remained dry.

The musicians/performers were there (I believe) to do some recording work, although the concert itself was not. I'm sure several of you are familiar with the musicians from the tapes and/or CD's of previous UAR recordings. The musicians were:

Li Wang - Piano (7' Steinway with German hammers)
Sietse-Jan Weijenberg - Cello (Joseph Guarneri)
Xiang Yu - Violin (Stradivari)

I do not have many words to describe what I heard as the occasion and quality of sound left me quite breathless. Rich, like butter, soft, clear, distinct were some I wrote down as I listened to the first piece. I don't know if this is correct to say, but I thought that each of them played to the room and general spacing of the area. Never was there a feeling if it being too loud, which I suppose says something about their professionalism and also the quality of the physical environment. The very quiet passages were a joy to behold and still very clearly heard. I think I wrote down "butter" when my ears were presented with the soft and detailed sounds. This type of recital and venue was a first for me, and although I do not know classical music, I know that what I heard was spectacular. A full orchestra in a beautiful concert hall is a thrill to attend, but this recital is the best live sound I have ever had the privilege is hearing. STUNNING!

The programme for the afternoon consisted of:

Vitali - Chaccone in G minor
Beethoven: Seven Variations on "Bei Mannern" (from Mozart's Magic Flute)
Debussy: Claire de Lune
Monti: Czardas
Handel-Halvorsen: Passacaglia

Intermission

Mozart: Duo in G major, K.423 - 1. Allegro, 2. Adagio, 3. Rondo, Allegro
Beethoven: Piano Trio No.4 in D major, Op.70 No.1 (Ghost) - 1. Allegro vivace e con brio, 2. Largo assai ed espressivo, 3. Presto

Mssrs. Wang, Weijenberg and Xiang were gracious enough to come back for a wonderful encore, which the audience greatly appreciated and welcomed with a rousing applause.

I have attached a few images and videos (posted seperately) for your enjoyment, and I hope that you get a bit of a sense of what it must have been like for me. Do excuse me for the crappy video though.

IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys! I enjoyed the afternoon immensely and am already looking forward to the next concert. I hope I get invited!:eek:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the pictures, John. Ed told me that he would be taping the performances for release. I have just about all of Ed's tapes and they are among the very best sounding tapes around. He has found some very talented young musicians also.

Larry

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the pictures, John. Ed told me that he would be taping the performances for release. I have just about all of Ed's tapes and they are among the very best sounding tapes around. He has found some very talented young musicians also.

Larry

Hi Larry - I do know that our own Tony Ky Ma videotaped the concert and there was a tripod on the pool with a small device on it, although I saw no connections to that. I meant to ask Ed about this, but never got around to it. There was a fairly heavy-duty and quite massive DSLR being used in the forefront and a bit to the right of me, but I am not sure what its purpose was.

The musicians were awesome indeed. Xiang Yu (voilin) is quite animated and I really enjoyed that. I also managed to speak for a few moments with Seitse-Jan in our native Dutch tongue.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi John
It is good to hear that you enjoy the concert and you will be noticed for the next concert don't worry, the recording video and audio at the day was digital only and in coming days will go on tape recordings, Ed's planting is the new release will come with a DVD too
tony ma

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John
It is good to hear that you enjoy the concert and you will be noticed for the next concert don't worry, the recording video and audio at the day was digital only and in coming days will go on tape recordings, Ed's planting is the new release will come with a DVD too
tony ma

Hi Tony!

That's wonderful news...count me in for a copy of the DVD! :D

And thank you for introducing me to Roger. I just sent him an email!:)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-You should feel privileged to be invited to attend events like this! That is pretty awesome.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-You should feel privileged to be invited to attend events like this! That is pretty awesome.

Indeed Mark, and I do! :D

But even more than that, I've had the good fortune of meeting people....good people! Both Ed and Tony are the salt of the earth and I consider myself very lucky to call them them my friends, now that we've met.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-I'm very happy for you my friend. We should all be so blessed.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Most of the program I listed in the first post has been recorded and will become available on tape soon. According to Ed "I'm happy to say I think the audiophile crowd will like the sound of these".

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Thanks for sharing this. It looks, and sounds, amazing.

Bruce in PA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing