All Cables From One Manufacturer, or Mix and Match?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Nope. But you also can't generalize... I was being specific in my claims.

My UPOCC copper litz cables are about as resolving as typical 4N silver. Some company's copper cables are more resolving than mine, like Jorma, so these are actually more resolving vs most less expensive silver cables.

However, I have never heard a copper cable of any sort that can match UPOCC silver which is 6N+... impurities are so small we are unable to measure them and the wire is also manufactured with no grain boundaries in the conductor. This is what I use, along with a silver/gold alloy manufactured using the same process, and it is much different vs typical silver wire.

Interesting comments. My copper litz cables (WyWires) seemed to be more resolving than Zu Event (silver/copper) which I didn't anticipate. Maybe this is why.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The only reason not to mix and match cables is because you like all the cables from one manufacture and how it sounds.Anybody who tells you different really is just trying to sell you something.

Great to see you Jonathan! Its been awhile.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Interesting comments. My copper litz cables (WyWires) seemed to be more resolving than Zu Event (silver/copper) which I didn't anticipate. Maybe this is why.

Litz is cleaner and more resolving vs conventional wire for audio use, as it reduces the amount of warmth the copper contributes to the sound.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
It's nuts to buy even components much less cables from one manufacturer unless they all deliver optimum stellar performers. Never assume that a DAC manufacturer is also the best amplifier manufacturer for instance. I see people making this mistake all the time, making assumptions. This is my #1 rule in life, NEVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS. You will usually be wrong.

in the case of cables, the distinction is probably IC's versus speaker cables, AC power cords or digital cables. I would predict that very few manufacturers are the best at all four. Each is a very different animal.

As for synergy, I don't believe in it. Cables should never be used as analog filters. They should be as transparent as possible. There are cases where a certain type of analog IC should be used however. Many DAC outputs have high-impedance outputs, so a low-capacitance IC should be used to prevent any roll-off or phase-shift. Likewise if you are using a passive attenuator linestage. This is a matter of matching the situation, not synergy.

Sometimes speaker cables can be seen as synergistic, but the reality is that if the speaker load is gentle, a cheaper cable is usually good enough. When speakers are inefficient, the cable may need to have lower inductance and capacitance. A good cable will work in all situations.

These attributes are mostly about geometry of the cable. The conductor metallurgy is at least as important. They are both important. The more expensive the cable, usually the better the metallurgy.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hi Dave,I was not addressing your post specifically. When I say better, I mean better for them. We all know my cables are the best. :)

Lol, yes of course! :p

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
But one needs a cable , what do you use in your system if I might ask you also seem to use a more no nonse approach , i use cheap transparent link 100 s , plus multistrand copper /silver coated Teflon insulated wire as speaker wire , also as internal wire in the speakers.

And if one was gone invest in cables , where can one make a rather big diff if any , powercables ?

I don't have any specific wire brand recommendations I still prefer and use inexpensive commercial ones I bought 15-16 years ago. Basic criteria hasn't changed for me, stranded or Litz copper based ICs, same for speaker wires preferably 10-12 gauge. High quality copper or some OFC but not a fan of OCC wires, I hear a distinct coloration in every cable I heard using their conductors. Same for power cords use industrial ones as do almost all my clients replacing their mega dollar cords with these. It's a matter of taste and expectation I want my wires to do nothing, no black backgrounds, no deeper bass or carved images, etc., etc., etc. just let the signal through with minimal change or editorializing.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hey, if anyone wants to do a cable tour I'm down. We can send a few versions of cables around to WBF members... my cables, ddk's, Sablon and whoever else would like to participate. Just one set of IC cables from each would be enough and not put us out too much.

Some members here might find it useful or interesting... :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hey, if anyone wants to do a cable tour I'm down. We can send a few versions of cables around to WBF members... my cables, ddk's, Sablon and whoever else would like to participate. Just one set of IC cables from each would be enough and not put us out too much.

Some members here might find it useful or interesting... :)

Will take you up on your offer Dave but I don't have any cables for sale to send around.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Will take you up on your offer Dave but I don't have any cables for sale to send around.

david

They don't have to be for sale, I was thinking it might be interesting for folks to actually hear what we're talking about in their own systems.

Justlisten2

Feb 1, 2016
I have had more success mixing and matching than using any one manufacturer.
To me, I find one manufacturers weaknesses become more apparent the more of their products I use.
Obviously, many others have had more success from one manufacturer than I have.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think DaveC feels pretty strongly that his silver and silver/gold wires exhibit higher resolution than copper.

What say you, DaveC?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It was....Silver can sometimes over emphasize treble giving the false impression of more detail retrieval.
There are other problems with silver, colored bass and softening and homogenizing of transients.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
David, why do you suppose some tonearm manufacturers use silver tonearm wire?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My experience it is better to have the core cables all the same brand. I do use different levels within the brand and PC's seem to have different noise floor levels. After what I call core cables i.e. source,preamp,speaker,amps it seems using other brands has little effect. I use NBS and the other cables are Gepco quad microphone cable. After doing my grounding thing, they all have the same signature. I do use a different brand for my digital...Nirvana..no longer in business.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
It was....Silver can sometimes over emphasize treble giving the false impression of more detail retrieval.

One of the issues with silver cables is that the gauges deployed are often rather small and this exacerbates the innately ‘white / light’ tonal presentation by not having sufficient conductor area to provide the low resistance / impedance needed for full bass dynamics.

I have played with a variety of silver cables in the past but superseded these designs a few years ago with a more transparent sounding copper conductor.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing