Aesthetix Romulus/Pandora--DSF playback on spdif inputs (via DoP)?

Audioclyde

Jul 1, 2011
Just checking if anyone that has either the Romulus or Pandora Signature (with DSD playback capability), and has successfully been able to play DSD files feeding the spdif inputs (via DoP of course)?

My Audiobyte Hydra X and Romulus Signature are not playing well together. With JRiver set to bitstream DSD via DoP, when a DSD file is selected for playback: the DSD light on the Hydra does not light up, I get no sound, and the front panel readout on the DAC says 176.4....

Interestingly, if I set JRiver to convert DSD files to pcm (doesn't matter what sample rate, 176 or 192), again I get no sound and the DAC's readout again says 176.4. Prior to sending the Romulus to Aesthetix for the Signature upgrade, such setup worked fine, I could have JRiver convert the DSD files to pcm and playback on the Romulus was fine...

I've also tried Audirvana as the playback software, and get the exact same results as above.

The Romulus plays DSD files perfectly via its USB input, but I'd like to at least be able to try the other setup..

Any thoughts will be most appreciated!

Randy

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Randy I have a Romulus Signature and I can't get DSD to work using USB input. I get the music with noise in the background. I am using audirvana plus on a MAC computer. Jeff

Audioclyde

Jul 1, 2011
Jeff, my Romulus Sig works fine playing DSD on its USB input, using either Audirvana, JRiver for Mac or JRiver on my bootcamped Windows partition. But your experience does make me wonder if the DAC isn't the culprit in my situation rather than my USB converter.....

Best of luck,

Randy

Audioclyde

Jul 1, 2011
Jeff,

On the Mac partition, I have a very slight preference for Audirvana as far as SQ; it's hard to describe but to me it is just a bit more musical/natural sounding. I do prefer the ease of use of JRiver, especially with the JRemote App on my iPad.

That being said, I much prefer playback from a sound quality standpoint by using my bootcamp partition, where I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials as the OS, and use the Audiophile Optimizer software and JRiver for playback. Everything sounds better across the board, blacker background, even less digital sounding/more natural, with a somewhat better detailed yet very natural sweet sound....

Hope my feeble descriptions help in some way.

Best,

Randy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing