Aesthetix IO 47k setting

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I have a 3-piece Aesthetix IO phono stage. I plan to use it as an MM stage loaded at 47k ohms. On the manual, it says, the 47k load setting is the factory configure. Is there anyone that can give me an idea of what it means by “factory configure”?

At the back the IO, there’re 2 separate jumpers which set the load impedance. I learnt (somewhere on this forum) that going without any jumper in place is the 47K, but not sure if it is the way to go?

Thanks in advance for anyone with experiences on setting the IO as a 47k MM stage.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Do you have a volume control model ? Or are you planning on removing a set of tubes to get the lowest volume setting on the none volume model. I did try that once with a 0,1 mv cartridge and a step-up before i upgraded to volume controls. I did not like the sound, have to try again one of these days. I have not even used the second phono input i had installed in the Io yet! :rolleyes:

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Thanks both for the reply. Then I’ll try without the load jumpers and an SUT.

@Lagonda, I don’t have a volume control model. Yes, if pairing an SUT, i have to set the IO to 50db, the lowest and according to the manual, the No. 5 and No, 6 need to be removed. I’ll give it a try.

I’m using an Ortofon Anna D with 0.2mv output. Though setting the IO to 80db or 74db seems to be ample to drive the cart, I’d like to compare mm+SUT with the direct loading into the IO as an MC stage. And if setting IO at 80db, I found the background noise a bit noisy. Considering the number of tubes applied in the phono, that noise level is still acceptable but a quieter playback is always preferred. I will try to see if the MM+SUT can be quieter.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

@Lagonda, I don’t have a volume control model. Yes, if pairing an SUT, i have to set the IO to 50db, the lowest and according to the manual, the No. 5 and No, 6 need to be removed. I’ll give it a try.

I’m using an Ortofon Anna D with 0.2mv output. Though setting the IO to 80db or 74db seems to be ample to drive the cart, I’d like to compare mm+SUT with the direct loading into the IO as an MC stage. And if setting IO at 80db, I found the background noise a bit noisy. Considering the number of tubes applied in the phono, that noise level is still acceptable but a quieter playback is always preferred. I will try to see if the MM+SUT can be quieter.
That is interesting information, i have considered the Anna D but am hesitant because of the low output. Ideally a phono stage like the Io should be used without a step-up. With my Benz LPS the Io has some tube noise at high volumes, but great sound. 0,5 mv is probably the best output for the Io without step-up. :)

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I use a Etna SL and Koetsu Jade at .25 and .3mV respectively straight in- no noise. It can be done. However, you need to hand select the tubes.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

You have a nice collection of cartridges, how does the Anna Diamond compare to the rest ? What is your favorite ?

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I use a Etna SL and Koetsu Jade at .25 and .3mV respectively straight in- no noise. It can be done. However, you need to hand select the tubes.
I have Etna SL at .25mv and Koetsu Blue Onyx at .3mv, both work fine with IO, straight in. Actually the .2mv Anna D works well at 80db setting too but the noise ground is a bit loud, yet still a very bearable level of noise. If at 74db, it is still fine And quieter. I just want to see how an SUT compare to direct-in.

@Lagonda, all the carts have their own sound signatures. I like them all. I quite appreciate the neutrality of Anna D. All other carts sound “biased” compared to Anna D. I am changing carts from time to time on my 4 arms but Anna D always stays on 1 of the 4. I like it a lot.

Reactions: Lagonda

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
My Lyra Atlas (from 2018) is maybe getting a bit worn, although I have used it very sparingly. I am not sure, what to look for. I think the Io thriwes with a fairly robust cart output (0.56 from the atlas), the music is more forceful, although lower output carts can be used also. At the moment I count myself lucky, finding very low noise Telefunken tubes for the critical first gain stage. The seller sent another quad, but I had to return it - not quiet enough. Not sure about the hours on the Atlas. Maybe 1200. No clear mistracking or other problems yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing