AC Kassandra Inputs - Is There a 'Best' Option?

WLGMuzza

Oct 20, 2019
Aotearoa
I have Kassandra Ref 2 DAC and an considering a server / streamer.

I'm looking at two options: USB output only, and USB/SPDIF/AES with an uplift in cost.

I use the USB input on the Kassie today.

Given the double reclocking of the USB input on the DAC, what is your experience between the USB and synchronous inputs on the Kassandra?

Appreciate your knowledge.

Cheers

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois

I'm looking at two options: USB output only, and USB/SPDIF/AES with an uplift in cost.

Given the double reclocking of the USB input on the DAC, what is your experience between the USB and synchronous inputs on the Kassandra?

Cheers
Could I suggest instead of streaming to look into adding Baach SP as a more significant improvement? I was using an Innous Zen MK3 to stream to my Helene (replaced with Kassandra next week) and when I went to Baach4Mac software you can't stream since it needs to go in the USB from my Mac mini. I listened without the Baach4Mac and the difference was not really too significant. However, using the Baach SP software was a significant step up. Of course YMMV.

acg

Dec 25, 2013
@WLGMuzza the 'best' input to the Kassandra probably depends on the streamer you are trialling at the time. I've found nothing better than Antipodes Oladra using AES into my Kass. Other streamers will be more focused on USB and therefore will have their strengths there. Note that synchronous inputs such as AES/SPDIF etc. are limited to certain data rates so some high-res music will not play...if you bother with hi-res at all.

Reactions: WLGMuzza

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I have Aurender N20 streamer. Have tried digital RCA and USB: For me USB input has best sound in my system. USB has more body, better bass better separation of instruments and possibly bigger soundstage. Digital RCA has slightly better image focus, but overall, USB was better.

WLGMuzza

Oct 20, 2019
Aotearoa
Could I suggest instead of streaming to look into adding Baach SP as a more significant improvement? I was using an Innous Zen MK3 to stream to my Helene (replaced with Kassandra next week) and when I went to Baach4Mac software you can't stream since it needs to go in the USB from my Mac mini. I listened without the Baach4Mac and the difference was not really too significant. However, using the Baach SP software was a significant step up. Of course YMMV.
Thanks for the advice AA. I'm in a position where I need to swap out my server as it's on its last legs. Baach looks interesting and could be an option down the track. Cheers

WLGMuzza

Oct 20, 2019
Aotearoa
I have Aurender N20 streamer. Have tried digital RCA and USB: For me USB input has best sound in my system. USB has more body, better bass better separation of instruments and possibly bigger soundstage. Digital RCA has slightly better image focus, but overall, USB was better.
Thanks RaChik, great feedback.

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Could I suggest instead of streaming to look into adding Baach SP as a more significant improvement?
Maybe im misunderstanding (their website inst super clear), isnt the baach sp a server/streamer its self? Just with lots of added DSP options like a weiss DSP501/Grimm MU-1?

@WLGMuzza This is entirely second hand info, but i was told AES is the way to go with AC when I was looking into getting the Kassandra myself

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I will be getting a Kassandra 2 DAC at the end of the year. In my current set-up with a Lampi Horizon, I have a Lucas Audio LDMS server hooked up to it. It is absolutely the best move I have made in the last two years. I had USB and SPDIF jacks and I switched between the two. I much preferred the SPDIF. I am getting an ugraded LDMS at the end of the week and I will add a BNC jack in addition to the straight SPDIF and USB. I will use the BNC when I get the Kassandra.

I would highly recommend you give Lucas Domansky a call at Lucas Audio. He is a computer genius and can offer you great advice and help. He will be selling my existing serverto anyone in the USA. My unit is Roon ready with 8 tb storage and I use Tidal and Qobuz also. It really made a difference to my Lampi DAC's.

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
Maybe im misunderstanding (their website inst super clear), isnt the baach sp a server/streamer its self? Just with lots of added DSP options like a weiss DSP501/Grimm MU-1?

I have the Baach4Mac on a Mac2Pro. Roon Core feeds the Baach4Mac software, which combines Roon with Baach SP and then goes USB to my DAC. So I guess maybe it does.

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016

Cheers
Using a pink faun ultra the usb is the way to go. better in every way compared to aes.
The good thing about this server is you can install a new usb/aes/? card in the future when a better one is developed. So your not stuck with the old tech down the track.

Reactions: interiors

WLGMuzza

Oct 20, 2019
Aotearoa
Thanks everyone for the input. I've ended up with the Antipodes K50 connected via AES, double reclockwd, to the Kassandra, running Squeeze server and player.

Things are sounding pretty good in this configuration. Once the K50 has finished breaking in I'll do a comparison against the USB input.

Cheers

Reactions: eskamobob1 and acg

acg

Dec 25, 2013
@WLGMuzza I've done this comparison so have an idea what you may hear. Was also able to directly compare K50 vs Oladra into my Kass Ref 2...oh my...pity you can't unhear some things, but thankful I was able to make the comparison.

Reactions: eskamobob1

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
O.k., I understand this statement. I don't know the K50 myself, but I just listened to the Oladra and yes, it is really good. When I say something like that, I mean: close to the vinyl record.

Reactions: eskamobob1

interiors

Feb 18, 2023
Using a pink faun ultra the usb is the way to go. better in every way compared to aes.
The good thing about this server is you can install a new usb/aes/? card in the future when a better one is developed. So your not stuck with the old tech down the track.
I have the same setup: PF Ultra —> Kassandra. Given the Kass is optimized for USB, it’s definitely the way to go.

WLGMuzza

Oct 20, 2019
Aotearoa
Thanks folks. I see Antipodes has released a V3 of the K50 with a reworked USB interface, but I bit the bullet bfore that annoucement and got the (now superceded) K50 at a good price. It helps that I'm based in NZ and about 45 minutes drive from the Antipodes facilities. I'm currently using the AES connection and very, very happy with the sound. I'll experiment with the USB connection at some stage in the future, but for now I'm just enjoying music!

I appreciate all the responses / input.

Cheers

Reactions: Argonaut

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Another interesting question would be whether a Cassandra would benefit from a private clock. Are there any opinions - or better: experiences - about this?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Another interesting question would be whether a Cassandra would benefit from a private clock. Are there any opinions - or better: experiences - about this?
That is an interesting question … however I suspect that only Stavros might be in a position to answer that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing