A visit to Marten speakers (Sweden)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Last edited:

Sharok

Aug 11, 2019
I just returned from Gothenburg, Sweden. I visited Marten Headquarter where Mr. Leif Olofsson (Marten Chief Designer) let us audition Coltrane 3. It was a mind blowing experience. All electronics were from MSB and he played a few tracks using a beautiful TechDAS turntable. I cannot get it out of my head.

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4761.JPG
    IMG_4761.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

Notdead

May 8, 2023
Impressive facility! Thanks for sharing.
As owner of the Parker Duo (not Diamond) I've found very useful and also a bit surprising the sonic differences among the Diamond and the regular edition.
I've heard the Diamond in the MIngus but never in the Parker. Food for my thoughts.

Reactions: Hyperion

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
As owner of the Parker Duo (not Diamond) I've found very useful and also a bit surprising the sonic differences among the Diamond and the regular edition.
I've heard the Diamond in the MIngus but never in the Parker. Food for my thoughts.

I have to admit that I was rather surprised as well by the obvious differences when comparing the two versions side by side. The Diamond version involves and adds so much more than a tweeter replacement.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: Notdead

caesar

May 30, 2010
That looks incredible. What is unique or different about Marten?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I've been burning in Parker Trio Diamond Editions for 3 weeks now. Excellent. Next up, pre-delivery burn-in for the Septet Signature Edition.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: Hyperion

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hey Jack,
Sure, they all sound different based on the design decisions. But I mean this from a generic sense: what specifically makes them unique and sound distinct, so that potential customers view as them as superior in quality or features compared to competitors?

For example, Wilson is known as the authentic audiophile speaker, magico markets itself as the force using the latest materials and technologies to eliminate all distortions, etc.

So my question is: what is Marten doing differently that makes them special? I hope above helps

Reactions: Johan K

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When we had a zoom meet with the brothers O, they asked us why we carried many lines of electronics and (at the time) only one speaker line. In other words I guess, why we approached them in the first place. I said that it is our philosophy as a primarily turn key company to start with neutral loudspeakers and allow our customers to choose electronics that interact with the speakers in the way that they prefer, the way they prefer to listen.

Marten fits that bill as does VSA. Funny enough both have published +/- 2dB standards, perform well at single digit wattage and below remaining coherent at very low levels without becoming shouty when the fun starts that belie their sensitivity figures.( It's very easy to come to this conclusion with realtime meters on your amplifiers and a reason senstitivity figures IMO are highly over rated vs performance.) They follow the same low distortion philosophy, both have premium models offering improved internal wiring and have chief designers both named Leif. The similarities end there however. Marten's radiation pattern is one most box speaker people are used to. VSA has got their own XO thing going and the rear firing ambient array. That makes unassisted set up easier for the Martens. Being used to VSA, I had to take a step back and redo my set up procedure using more toe in than usual and using speaker to speaker distance more to solidify the summing area.

Basically we had been hearing them at the HK and Tokyo shows for years and had always heard them to be very promising which at a show is generally all you can hope for. When we heard the Septets we were convinced that they had made a jump and that we could very well match these with Lamm, Constellation, KR and CH or any other make we might add in the future while being different enough in presentation, models and pricing to VSA for them to coexist in a product matrix.

I'm just really starting the deep dive and I will need more time and access with more models but as of now, what I have found unique is that no other loudspeaker manufacturer I have heard has made passive radiators work so damn well. The continuity of timing and timbre makes me scratch my head. They sound more like aperiodic or sealed rather than ported but is actually its own thing and I believe part of their signature sound. This is as true of the Parker Trio as the MIngus Quintets and Septets that we have heard. When I can see that a manufacturer has spent a lot of effort on their lower lines, it gives me a lot of confidence with what they will do when cost constraints are lessened.

The only warning I would give to potential owners is to really allow the drivers and dielectrics settle in before passing judgement. We can't possibly fully burn in every speaker we import and that makes our show speakers very sought after. The change from out of the box to settled in is far more drastic than speakers that use soft diaphragm materials and little teflon in their parts. Not to mention going from casters to the iso feet.

Their ultimate performance depends on what is feeding them making them quite friendly for distributor and customer alike.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing