A Very Simple Roast Beef

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's Sunday, the sun is shining, and the weather is simply glorious in the Pacific Northwest. This time of the year, wild mushrooms are in season, as are white asparagus. So, this is "Sunday Tea" - a very late lunch after a late breakfast.

You will need a large frying pan (NOT a non-stick one) with a cover that you can put in the oven. A nice (about 4-lb, 2kg) roast that is well trussed up in twine, about a pound (half a kilo) of assorted mushrooms (I will use crimini, chantrelles, morels and porcini).

Pre-heat the oven to 375 deg.

Heat the pan over very high heat until hot. Dribble some olive oil and spread. Now, brown and caramelize all sides of the roast. It will sizzle and spit. Remove the roast to a side dish. There may be bits of frond stuck to the bottom of the pan. De-glaze the pan with Marsala wine and beef broth. Add the mushrooms and stir for a bit. Clear the center, and put the roast and any juices in the dish back into the pan. Cover and roast in the oven for 35 minutes.

While the roast is in the oven, saute white asparagus slowly in butter over medium-low heat. You have to do it slowly to retain the maximum sweetness and yet be cooked but still crunchy.

After 35 minutes, remove the pan from the oven, spread a large pat of butter on top of the roast and sprinkle the mushrooms with fried shallots (you can get these as fried onions from Trader Joe's or fried red onions from a Chinese grocery store). Re-cover and put back into the oven for another 5 minutes.

Remove the pan, place the roast on a serving dish, and spread the mushroom/shallot mixture around the roast.

Serve with boiled new potatoes and sweet potato/yam mash.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Lovely recipe Gary. Thanks for posting. I have not find a non-dairy version of it due to my allergies but your description sure made my mouth watery :).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You have access to fresh white asparagus? I hate you Gary! :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
A new supermarket opened in Bellevue - called Your Local Market. It's like a farmer's cooperative with local produce in season. When I saw fresh local white asparagus, I grabbed a couple of pound. First time I've seen it fresh outside of a high-end restaurant. Delicious!! :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A new supermarket opened in Bellevue - called Your Local Market. It's like a farmer's cooperative with local produce in season. When I saw fresh local white asparagus, I grabbed a couple of pound. First time I've seen it fresh outside of a high-end restaurant. Delicious!! :)
Didn't know about that market. You know everything about food Gary. It must be your genes that keep you the way you are or you would be 500 pounds. :D

I went at lunch to check out the market. Is it my imagination or are they trying to be a copy of Whole Foods? If so, I found them a step down although nice to have them there. I checked out the asparagus and there were no white ones. They did have green ones on ice no less!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Haha. I love food and I'm lucky to be blessed with high metabolic rates.... That plus drinking lots of pu erh tea.

I don't know if they are trying to be a copy of Whole Foods..... I would be surprised if they try. An independent chain would have no chance fighting the big boys as they will have no buying power. But they do have a good selection of local produce but landing white asparagus is pure luck - I've been lucky at the Bellevue Farmer's Market too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing