A Star Is Born

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just returned from seeing "A Star Is Born". It was actually better than expected. Lady Gaga did a good job in her first role. (Maybe she has been playing roles for her entire career) Several of the songs were very good.

She looks actually pretty good when she isn't made up in her Gaga persona.

This was Bradley Cooper's directorial debut and my only issue was him relying on way to many full screen close-ups.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I saw it today as well. I will refrain from making any specific comments until others have seen it. I did think it was well done and agree that Lady Gaga did an excellent job in her debut.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Looking forward to the 4K Blue Ray release.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I just saw A Star Is Born last night and enjoyed it very much, with it having me bopping in my seat especially when when both Gaga and Cooper sang together. A little over a year ago I went the Joann concert at Citi Field in Queens to see Gaga live after she did her amazing Super Bowl halftime show and spent $550 per ticket and did not enjoy myself nearly as much as my $12 AMC deluxe theater experience. First the sound was better at AMC and I did not need the binoculars to see her. However, the biggest difference was the absence of many of her fans. While I am supportive of the LGBTQ movement, I did not like how Gaga encouraged them to totally let themselves do whatever felt right, totally ignoring that not all in attendance lived their private lifestyle.

I will not recount what I felt were many inappropriate and intrusive public behaviors by that segment of her fans, but hands down what was most offensive was the lack of consideration for those who wanted to hear Gaga. So if you are a Gaga fan, especially a part-time Gaga fan and want to be amazed by Bradley Cooper's musical abilities, go to A Star Is Born, sit in line with the center of the screen and buy a piece of audio gear with the money you save by not going to the concert.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dimfer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the movie and I saw her live last year. Yes she has a huge LGBTQ following but when we were there she merely acknowledged them and nothing more. It was a fabulous concert and the acoustics very good. We had great seats and if you remember the concert had three stages that she went from one to the other.

I loved the movie and I am a huge fan. This could easily be her breakout to the big screen. She's a very talented woman

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The movie was pretty good but not great. I thought the emphasis on maintaining integrity was an interesting wrinkle that differentiated this interpretation. Still prefer the James Mason/Judy Garland version. Music was surprisingly good and I thought the "Shallow" scene affecting and should win the Oscar for Song of the Year.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
She looks actually pretty good when she isn't made up in her Gaga persona.

Exactly what my wife said and I agree. Nice movie. Amazing to learn that the original was from 1934 and this Is the fourth remake.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In an interview on one of the late shows she said she turned to music (and likely that persona) because like her character she didn't fit the mold. She said she got a couple of gigs as an extra but she onnly ever got to use her acting training after she had made it. Her bio on Netflix was quite interesting as well. Showed a lot of insight on what goes on behind the stage or screen. It's a glamorous life but apparently not easy inn the slightest.

I liked the movie. I also liked the music but I think in this case the music is best heard along with the visual components they were meant to be displayed with. I mean, I could watch the movie again but I don't see myself cueing up the soundtrack. I'm not saying it can't be enjoyable only that it won't be in comparison.

Steve Williams

In an interview on one of the late shows she said she turned to music (and likely that persona) because like her character she didn't fit the mold. She said she got a couple of gigs as an extra but she onnly ever got to use her acting training after she had made it. Her bio on Netflix was quite interesting as well. Showed a lot of insight on what goes on behind the stage or screen. It's a glamorous life but apparently not easy inn the slightest.

I liked the movie. I also liked the music but I think in this case the music is best heard along with the visual components they were meant to be displayed with. I mean, I could watch the movie again but I don't see myself cueing up the soundtrack. I'm not saying it can't be enjoyable only that it won't be in comparison.

Totally agree

That's why my call is with Bohemian Rhapsody and Rami Malek to walk away with the Oscar for Best Actor

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Cooper is going to take home the hardware. I think him actually singing the part is going to get him there.

Steve Williams

Perhaps as you are correct that he sang his own songs and he is well loved in Hollywood. Having said that he doesn’t even come close to Malek who I feel out acted Cooper. If anyone will gain notoriety from the film its Lady Gaga who IMO launched her acting career with A Star Is Born.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For a while there I thought Lady Gaga would be singing 'Evergreen'. Checking the soundtrack list, it was not there. :(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think love being described as soft as an easy chair would sell these days Phil LOL

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think love being described as soft as an easy chair would sell these days Phil LOL

LOL! You got that right, Jack. My son, who I notice 'evades' things of my time, yeah like those silly love songs of the 70s and 80s, got this movie due to Lady Gaga, and Brad Cooper (whom he saw in Hangover). So when I told him (after checking Wiki) that this is a remake, it kinda threw him back slightly as just like us in our time, we like originals. :) But he watched on, together with me and my wife, and we were talking bout Kris K and Streisand and the country music involved in this kind of movie musical, and he was impervious to the passion in emotion I was telling my wife about our times. So yeah, a thousand percent I agree, love soft as an easy chair won't sell to the kids these days. I even tried to sing the first line, and there was absolutely no reaction from my son. :D Guess it was my voice too. LOL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing